Seeking tips! Carburetor soak

TwinLewi

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hey guys and gals,
Hope all are well, safe And healthy in todays world. Wanted to ask what I should soak my carbies in for a good clean. Let’s say I have never serviced/ cleaned my carbies. (I have and last time I did was October 2019) My my stock carbies off my 1973 Tx650 have been off the bike for a couple months now. Replaced them with Mikuni VM34’s. I don’t plan on selling them. They’re going on the shelf for looks! They sat with gas inside of them since January and I want to know if I can just drop them in a bucket to soak and thoroughly clean up. Maybe removing the some bits and pieces like the diaphragm. Maybe take the float bowls off.
Thanks for the time as always.
My bike is currently off the road. Moto is coming out and going for a full rebuild. Oil is soaking wet on the plugs and wet oil is popping out the exhaust. She slips out if third and forth gear. Clutch push rod seal has play and leaks. Tac cable spits oil out of the case. Wish me luck. Going to go see Geoff xs650 in NSW Straya mates

Attachments

• 1C9D412C-8FA7-4A23-BBB0-B7EFA1609A20.jpeg
    1C9D412C-8FA7-4A23-BBB0-B7EFA1609A20.jpeg
    355.2 KB · Views: 125
If you’re going to just make decorations out of them, I guess it doesn’t matter. The easy thing is to submerge them in a bucket of carb dip. Of course, it will destroy any rubber bits you leave on them. But, they should look good on the bookshelf.
Get soap and tiny brushes. Just clean and polish the outside and call it good. That will be a big enough job. They’ll look good on the shelf.
Or, you may dismantle them and do it up right. Hmmm... I can’t think of a reason to do that.

Back