Self driving or AI where is state of the art now?

gggGary

If not now, When?
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
It might be like nuclear fusion, always "just around the corner" ;^)
https://thedailyupside.cmail20.com/t/t-e-fjktyc-jlkhiltduh-f/
Ill be looking into lane holding on my next four wheeler. Cuz why not?
The Ford transit van I drive has the deviation warning (rumble strip) shake when there are visible lane stripes. It's kinda useful. shrug.

I have a Mercedes A250e which, when cruise control is activated will do some of the steering for you. However you have to keep your hands on the steering wheel and provide some steering input. This to tell the system that you still have your hands on the wheel.
IMO it's one of those 'nice to have' but not essential and it does feel slightly strange that the car is doing some of the steering for you.

It also has Active Lane Keeping Assist which senses when you are drifting out of your lane or try to move into an occupied lane and uses one side braking to bring you back in line. That said it is only of benefit if you aren't paying attention.
It does work but if you try to cross a white line at an oblique angle without indicating the system will cut in and then you have to have to swear at it and wrestle the steering to get it over the line. And yes, I know you should indicate when changing lanes but....

Of greater benefit is Distronic which keeps a set distance between you and the vehicle in front which is particularly useful when closing on a slower vehicle.
It works not only when cruise control is activated but also approaching another vehicle with your foot off the throttle.

The car is clearly doing more for the driver but it is still the driver that has to be in control. I'm glad I have all the driver aids packed into the car particularly as I get older and perhaps need all the help I can get.

Of greater benefit is Distronic which keeps a set distance between you and the vehicle in front which is particularly useful when closing on a slower vehicle.
It works not only when cruise control is activated but also approaching another vehicle with your foot off the throttle.
Wife's '17 Subaru Impreza has that. Don't recall what they call it though. On a recent long trip I was pretty impressed with how well it works.

Some people can’t safely tune the radio while driving. Anything to save a life is OK by me. I recently drove my daughter’s late model giant SUV and it had a lot of distractions in it, but I’m not accustomed to any off it. I believe we’re over 40,000 annual traffic deaths in the U.S. It sure would be good to improve that situation. It’s especially high among teens.

It's an interesting debate, whether the car should do some things to assist the driver. Personally, I like to be in charge and don't like the car doing my thinking for me. Reading the above, some people are in favour of a little assistance as we all get older. But looking at @jetmechmarty's post, high death rates are among the young and teenagers. I somehow don't think the problem there is drivers needing assistance to stay in lane or keep a safe distance.

The Hyundai I drive has blind spot alerts it won't try and correct for you, just at first a light in the side mirrors comes on and if you start to turn where the car is in your blind spot it gives an audible tone I like it as it has warned of vehicles I didn't see there
It also has side traffic alert so when your pulling out of a parking spot it will alert if vehicles are coming from either direction or if a person is behind the vehicle too

We just recently sold our Toyota and my old Fiat and decided to go down to just one car ( and my motorcycle ) …anyways we bought a new Hyundai Venue,
C41B837F-3404-4FE6-B65D-DB1002F23F01.jpeg
They call it a sub compact SUV, but c’mon……it’s a four door hatchback with a beefier looking body! 😄
Anyhoo….this is the first car I’ve owned with all the automated safety features. It doesn’t drive itself but it can help you avoid a collision in dense city traffic and whats not to like about that? Most of the time it they just operate seamlessly in the background. Once in a while it gives me a gentle reminder if I’m not paying attention and I drift out of my lane and I’m OK with that.

Last edited:
Personally, I like to be in charge and don't like the car doing my thinking for me. Reading the above, some people are in favour of a little assistance as we all get older. But looking at @jetmechmarty's post, high death rates are among the young and teenagers. I somehow don't think the problem there is drivers needing assistance to stay in lane or keep a safe distance.
The thing is you do stay in charge it's just that you get some extra assistance when you need it/ aren't paying attention/ run out of driving talent.

I've had anti lock brakes (ABS) on cars for many years now during which I've travelled hundreds of thousands of miles. In all that time I can only recall once where it saved me from what may well have been a nasty accident. Thankful that I did though.
I've had stability control for quite a few years as well. I've also experience its abilities Of the two runs the first was without stability control and despite my God like driving skills (yeh right!) the car went into a spin. With stability control there was a slight kick from the rear and .that was all, the car continued in a straight line. I've also experienced its abilities on a skid pan and it was impossible to get the car to step out of line despite trying hard.

The other aids are part of a continuous development cycle and IMO will be/ are of benefit to the vast majority of drivers.

It's those drivers who rate their ability as being better than the machine that I feel are a greater risk to the majority rather than any issues the current technology may have.

Back