Selling a bike from Canada to the US

bosco659

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Looking for advice and info. I may have an opportunity to sell my Water Buffalo into the US. Potential buyer is in California. I know that state is quite picky about emissions etc. Would a vintage bike be subject to any smog testing?
Any recommendations for a bike transporter to ship the bike cross country?
Thanks. Vic

Looking for advice and info. I may have an opportunity to sell my Water Buffalo into the US. Potential buyer is in California. I know that state is quite picky about emissions etc. Would a vintage bike be subject to any smog testing?
Any recommendations for a bike transporter to ship the bike cross country?
Thanks. Vic

I live in CA - purchased 3 bikes from Canada. And sold one that went to Canada.

It’s straight forward.

He gets the bike and title, takes it to the dmv and gets a CA title.

It’ll have to go to CHP for vin inspection and depending on where he lives, that could take months (I waiting 4 months when I was in Orange County) or days ( I’ve done two where I live now and 1 was same day, the other was same week).

Take paperwork back to dmv and he’s all good.

There are no emissions tests, but I will say to make his life easier, make sure it has the vin tag on it, or print a replacement one if it doesn’t.

As far as shippers go, I’ve done it two way. First was, bike was trucked from Vancouver into the us and dropped off with the shipper. More work but much less cost. Second way, pick up in Canada and take it across. Was a bit of a pain and if your doing it that way go with a big name bike shipper and pay for the ease of transport. I can’t remember off the top of my head who I used to transport it across the boarder.

Thanks WA. This is quite helpful. If you do happen to recall the name of a reputable shipper that would be appreciated.

Do you recall what the customs fees were?

Last edited:
Thanks WA. This is quite helpful. If you do happen to recall the name of a reputable shipper that would be appreciated.

Do you recall what the customs fees were?

It was about 10-12 years ago when I had a shipper do it.

For some reason 2-3% seems to come to mind.

Back