Selling or buying a bike.. test ride?

bosco659

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
This question may have been asked before but when you are selling a bike, do you let the prospective buyer test ride it? On the flip side would you buy a used bike without being able to test ride it? Many local sellers would state no test pilots because of possible damage; insurance implications and what happens if the buyer doesn’t come back? Interested in everyone’s thoughts because most of us have been at both sides of such transactions. I think a car is easier to allow test driving, but a bike is trickier.

Bought this in NZ from Australia without a test ride. lots of back and forth with pics. The problem i en-counted was the garage that gave it a WOF, (warrant of fitness is a safety certificate that has to be done every 6 months, or if the bike is sold with a registration), i feel it shouldn't have passed. Found a rust hole in the muffler after it arrived at my sons house. Not a big deal in the sceam of things, jut an annoyance. The bike is still in NZ to be used when visiting family.

Have ridden it, am happy with the buy.

IMG_4408 shpn reize 3000 crop.jpg

I would expect to ride before purchase when going to see a bike. I left my License and credit card, with the owner of the last bike i bought, when i took it for a ride. I would insist on that at least when selling a bike, Our license card has a pic of the holder, also If the license doesn't show a bike license then no ride. Depending on my spidery sense i may ask for some holding money.

Bought this in NZ from Australia without a test ride. lots of back and forth with pics. The problem i en-counted was the garage that gave it a WOF, (warrant of fitness is a safety certificate that has to be done every 6 months, or if the bike is sold with a registration), i feel it shouldn't have passed. Found a rust hole in the muffler after it arrived at my sons house. Not a big deal in the sceam of things, jut an annoyance. The bike is still in NZ to be used when visiting family.

Have ridden it, am happy with the buy.

View attachment 248267

I would expect to ride before purchase when going to see a bike. I left my License and credit card, with the owner of the last bike i bought, when i took it for a ride. I would insist on that at least when selling a bike, Our license card has a pic of the holder, also If the license doesn't show a bike license then no ride. Depending on my spidery sense i may ask for some holding money.
Thanks for your thoughts. If you hold a licence, credit card and keys and the buyer drops the bike you’re really $hit out of luck. If you’re selling a beater, not so much an issue, but a nice bike? I suppose if the buyer rode in on a bike that may make me feel a bit more confident about a test ride and I would check their drivers licence to be sure they have a valid motorcycle licence. Yes our licences have pictures too.

This question may have been asked before but when you are selling a bike, do you let the prospective buyer test ride it? On the flip side would you buy a used bike without being able to test ride it? Many local sellers would state no test pilots because of possible damage; insurance implications and what happens if the buyer doesn’t come back? Interested in everyone’s thoughts because most of us have been at both sides of such transactions. I think a car is easier to allow test driving, but a bike is trickier.
An excellent question, to which there is no perfect answer. Here are some thoughts:
- an issue for me is whether the prospective buyer wants to drive it to "see if he likes it". That's BS. Decide whether you like a specific vehicle before you go looking to buy one. Then you are only checking condition and operation of the specimen at hand. Expect your buyer to do that.
- when I am test driving a car (a specialty car, not a run-of-the-mill beater), I ask the owner to take me for a drive. Allows me to focus on the nuances of the car and how the owner drives it. Only then do I drive it myself. I am driving it to test it, not to see if I like it. Could the same thing be applied to a bike, riding two-up? (I hate the thought, but is it an option?)
- If I was selling a specialty car ( a performance car of some sort) or a unique bike, in principle I would not allow any test pilots. Get in, strap in and pay attention to the ride. I'll show you what it does. When you own it, then you can do whatever you want with it. If it were a bike, I'd show the seller what it does. Find a suitable place and demonstrate hard acceleration and deceleration with gear selection up and down.
- Trust your instinct; if the buyer strikes you in a positive manner, you would be inclined to trust him/her with a test drive. Test drive should be short, around the block sorta thing, not a five mile loop. Hold something of the buyer's; drivers license, car registration and keys, for example. Verify previous bike ownership and riding history best you can. If you are not confident of a buyer's riding ability, I would not allow a test drive.
At the end of the day, it is not entirely reasonable to expect a buyer to pull the trigger without a test drive. You just need to find a way to limit the risk. If the buyer can't appreciate that, maybe you don't have the right buyer.
Just my two-bits worth...

An excellent question, to which there is no perfect answer. Here are some thoughts:
- an issue for me is whether the prospective buyer wants to drive it to "see if he likes it". That's BS. Decide whether you like a specific vehicle before you go looking to buy one. Then you are only checking condition and operation of the specimen at hand. Expect your buyer to do that.
- when I am test driving a car (a specialty car, not a run-of-the-mill beater), I ask the owner to take me for a drive. Allows me to focus on the nuances of the car and how the owner drives it. Only then do I drive it myself. I am driving it to test it, not to see if I like it. Could the same thing be applied to a bike, riding two-up? (I hate the thought, but is it an option?)
- If I was selling a specialty car ( a performance car of some sort) or a unique bike, in principle I would not allow any test pilots. Get in, strap in and pay attention to the ride. I'll show you what it does. When you own it, then you can do whatever you want with it. If it were a bike, I'd show the seller what it does. Find a suitable place and demonstrate hard acceleration and deceleration with gear selection up and down.
- Trust your instinct; if the buyer strikes you in a positive manner, you would be inclined to trust him/her with a test drive. Test drive should be short, around the block sorta thing, not a five mile loop. Hold something of the buyer's; drivers license, car registration and keys, for example. Verify previous bike ownership and riding history best you can. If you are not confident of a buyer's riding ability, I would not allow a test drive.
At the end of the day, it is not entirely reasonable to expect a buyer to pull the trigger without a test drive. You just need to find a way to limit the risk. If the buyer can't appreciate that, maybe you don't have the right buyer.
Just my two-bits worth...
Good points. Thx. The parking lot demo may be a good idea.

I drove my Ute to my last buy. Bike was 2 hours away. The seller was laid back and real easy to deal with. In fact it was over 4 weeks from when i first rang him before i could get to see the bike. Partly due to his schedule and mine not jelling. He had a sight unseen buyer from 1600 klm away but put me up front because he preferred someone to see it.

What you guys would call a beater is worth $3-4,000, or more, over here. The prices you get for your bikes over there are beater prices here. I did mention spidery sense. Trust breed trust, and in life there has to be some amount of trust. If we can't trust at all that reflects back on us. Last time i locked my house was when i went to NZ in December 2022.

Good points. Thx. The parking lot demo may be a good idea.
I assume you are talking about your XS... based on what I have seen of that bike, I don't think that I would be offering any test rides unless there was a deal struck, cash on the table and the final step of the sale is the test ride. Other than that, I'd just tell them to watch me ride it.

I assume you are talking about your XS... based on what I have seen of that bike, I don't think that I would be offering any test rides unless there was a deal struck, cash on the table and the final step of the sale is the test ride. Other than that, I'd just tell them to watch me ride it.
Yes for my XS. Thanks again for your advice.

Yes for my XS. Thanks again for your advice.

Always admired your bike. Forgot your in Canada so prices may be a bit more there. Do you have a build thread to send to any prospective buyers. They would be happier to accommodate any stipulation on test rides.

Always admired your bike. Forgot your in Canada so prices may be a bit more there. Do you have a build thread to send to any prospective buyers. They would be happier to accommodate any stipulation on test rides.
I have binders of notes and invoices but not a real build thread.

Back