Set Timing, Cleaned Carbs, but its still blowing carbs off.

PHeller

Erie, PA
Reaction score
So I set the time as best I think I can. I don't have a timing light, but static timing seemed ok.

It's got new iridiums, spark plug caps, and runs ok, but I can't get it to idle under 1500rpm without blowing the carbs off.

Should I get a timing light and go from there?

Posted via Mobile

I would get a light. Then you will be able to see if your timing mark is jumping.... from the advance unit, or whether it is just off.

Has anything been done to the bike? Exhaust or intake? Clean carbs? Change jetting? Adjust mix screw?

Valves are set, I don't have a sync tool.

Carbs currently don't have filters on them as I'm waiting for some more funding before I do that.

Otherwise bone stock.

Posted via Mobile

your setting the timing without a light? i guarantee the timing is retarded if it's blowing the carbs off. Mine was doing that till i fixed my ATU that was worn....my Advance was on, but my idle was too retarded.

If timing chain is set and valves are set. Next thing you need to do is make sure the timing is set right. Get a light and check... then go through the rest of the checklist.

Running without filters wont help anything either... Also it would be helpful to know what year/model the bike is...

Back