Shallow Pod or tiny stack? Need Help

bandit78

Bob'r
Reaction score
Can anyone recomend an intake filter that's shallow?
I'm running sidecovers with not enough room for an "out of box" velocity stack.
If you've created your own or know how I can create a little filtration without
breaking the bank, you'd be my hero :thumbsup:
filterproblem.jpg

Hi
I've never come across any that shallow. I'd be a little concerned over disrupted airflow -perhaps trim away te side panel to accommodate regular pods or such like?

Hi
I've never come across any that shallow. I'd be a little concerned over disrupted airflow -perhaps trim away te side panel to accommodate regular pods or such like?

-Paul, thanks for the reply and concern :D
Ive been running without for awhile, not much restrictive airflow or loss of torque if any that I can tell. My side covers MUST stay tho, I just got all the electro dialed-in & not cool with the electricals being reconfiguring and such.

Take a look at mcmaster and get some brass screen. Trim it to size and use a clamp to hold it on. Its what I am going to replace my Uni filters with.

not sure if they make them big enough but there is a motorcross company that makes filter plugs. I had some that were 1/2 inch but they are used for adding more air to your airbox (modern bikes). I got them from dennis kirk

Get some bulk UniFilter foam. Using 1/4" hardware cloth, solder up a rigid frame for the foam to cover. The frame follows the shape of your custom side cover. You can cut sections of foam and glue them together to make the filtering foam cover. A stiffer rubber like material needs to be made for the carb horn attachment. This is just an idea and you'll need to run with it but I can see an interesting and very good custom filter being made up.

Tom

Thanks for the ideas/suggestions fellas appriciate it all.
ToMterrific - - I would need a tutorial & which glue is best...give me some soldering techinques and I might consider it. Sounds like I could prob try 20 times before it's perfect & time consuming unless I see first hand.
pregird - love the avitar is it your face?? I'm liking what I see from steeldragon I'll try and get in touch with someone there on Monday get prices and go from there...Thanks Much

All righty then, worked it out. Rubber plumbing fittings, wire mesh & pipe clamps.
cost under $15...Only thing Is to add foam behind the wire mesh b/f I sew everything back up.
Let me know what ya'l think?
carbscreen2.jpg

carbscreen3.jpg

carbscreen.jpg

Very nice. Im glad someone had done it and shown pictures as I knew it would work, but haven't seen any pictures. Any more details on the rubber used and why?

FrkyMnky : PICS SPEAK VOLUMES : the rubber was Easily bent/shaped so I bought it, not much thought other than that. Intake diameter was 53mm give or take so just walked into the depot with a gauge and went from there. (notice the last pic) The carb body stuck out a bit at the bottom of the fitting so I had to cut a small notch to fit the opening flush. That's bout it.

Last edited:
concerning the foam, take what you have pictured, add your foam and then another layer of mesh screen.. may help keep the bugs out of the jets. just an idea!

Back