She turned over, but didn't sustain ignition

groundsfordivorce

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Rewired the bike (1977 XS650 with an updated electric ignition, not points), starter motor engaged...occasionally it would make a god awful grinding noise but MOST of the time the pistons got chugging away like they should.

Added gas, and basically I got fire leaping out of the exhaust ports and smoke coming out of the air filters...gasoline was dripping from the air filter ports...banging and smoke but nothing that sounded like it was gonna take.

Ok, so the grinding noise I dunno - I took out the starter motor and nothing looks worn...no metal shavings or anything terrible and for the most part the starter was doing it's job...not perfect but it was something. Maybe someone has some insight to make sure I don't wreck the transfer gear on this thing.

The larger issue is the ignition...friend of mine suggested that I have the spark plug cables the wrong way around...the spark is firing too late for that side and igniting the exhaust. I thought that the bike might be a wasted spark design tho in which case it wouldn't matter...But it's a quick fix once I get this thing back together, so I'll try swapping the cables. Anyone think that'll work?

Floats in the carbs appear to be free moving...I opened up the throttle too much while testing so I KNOW I flooded the engine, but like I said I don't think the carbs screwed me.

Anyway, before I go into round two I'd appreciate any ideas. Thanks :)

You need to give more information on the "electric ignition". What brand is it? Post a picture of the ignition might help also. Did it not come with instructions as to how to set the timing?

Hey guys :)
Previous owner updated it with a 6 pin cdi ignition system. I wouldn't even know how to adjust it but I'm sure it's wired right. New universal coils and cables too which is why I'm thinking maybe the cables are reversed? Anyone know if the old cdi system is wasted spark? I dunno- SOMEthing is lighting the exhaust - it's a fire breathing monster right now :p

If I understand correctly. PO used a TCI igniton system from an '80 or '81 model year, which would include the TCI black box, stator with pick-up, and rotor with the magnet. Rotor may have not been put on properly for the timing. You said new universal coils, are you using 2 coils, or one dual output coil? And yes it is a wasted spark system. Did you adapt the existing wiring from your bike, put in a wiring harness from a post '79 model, or make your own wiring harness? Pictures of the connections might be helpful and a picture of the rotor when the engine is at TDC.

These coils x2
http://www.dimecitycycles.com/vinta...ts-universal-12-volt-ignition-coil-si-47.html

This wiring harness:
http://www.lowbrowcustoms.com/p1103...g-harness-for-6-pin-cdi-1980-84-yamaha-xs650/

PO said it was running when he shipped it - I trust him because he's my brother :p

One of his coils was not doing well and the wiring was old, plus he was running it without lights, accessories and so on - I've got an electrical background so I rewired the beast...Can't speak to timing adjustments, I've never touched it. That said the coils that were a problem WERE an older style dual output coil...maybe now that I'm running two separate coils that's introducing timing problems?

No pics of connections right now but will try and grab some. If it's a wasted spark system that rules out the cables being on the wrong plug I guess.

If you are using the TCI system from an '80 or later XS650, you should be using one dual output coil, with about 2.5 to 3 ohms of resistance. Example, for illustration pupose only, from Mikesxs.net http://www.mikesxs.net/product/17-6803.html. The universal coils you put on would be fine if you were still using the points style ignition, but not for the electronic system. Also, the gas flooding from the pods are most likely a carb issue, either float needle or float level setting.

Back