She's Ba-a-a-a-ck. Again......

Barb

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Well, I made it home from a month in Montana, caring for my 91 year-old father after he had some fairly serious medical issues. He is much better and in the care of my niece, so I was able to ride home yesterday. I didn't take Jaelith the XS sidecar bike, I took my R80 BMW, "Millie", and she ran flawlessly both ways. Since the first of May I have put 200 miles shy of 8000 miles on her, while working on the XS, which is in dire need of a working alternator.....not a real problem, but my finances are right at the limit this (and every) Summer....:shrug:

Anyway, I was able to pay my Poppa back for some of the nearly 17 years he looked after me, and that felt delightful, and watching him pull himself back to nearly normal (after, among other things, internal bleeding from too much Warfarin---I hate that stuff!) was fantastic. I left him with a full freezer, a clean house, and able to walk with a walker (My old one, named "Johnny"). It was a great feeling to have helped.

Then yesterday I popped over the Bitterroots, through Idaho ("You-da-ho?) and into the blazing cauldron that is Eastern Washington State. God, it was hot. I stopped every hour at rest areas to re-do the sunscreen--I was riding in a tank-top and no jacket, not through a death-wish, but just because of the heat! Anyway, right through SPF45 I burned to a crisp and look like a raccoon this morning....you know: the usual after-trip madness. :bike:

So. I've 3 cords of wood to get in, a lawn that needs harvesting, wind-rowing and baling-----seriously, it's LONG!! Plus I need to get poor Jaelith the XS back on the road. Lots to do.....but I'll be checking in regularly unless I'm needed back in Montana. (My father has dial-up and NetZero, a lethal combination that can defeat the most determined of users.....both *suck*!!)

Anyway, I'm back. What's new in XS-Land? :)

Welcome back home Barb.
Glad your father is better.
The we're roasting too, but probably greener than E.Washington.
Hope the hay crop goes well. ; )
You will see the thread about John.

Last edited:
Welcome Home Frau Luftkopf......

Das Beemer Motorrad ist sehr schoen fur die lange reisen.....nicht vaar?
Lots of us miss you and worry a little when we don't hear from you regularly.

Best, Blue

Good to see you are back and posting again Barb. Ah yes Montana; we Albertans just look at Montana as a southern extension of Alberta:). I'm sure your dad really appreciates your help.

Welcome back.. Glad to hear your father is doing better. As far as what's new in XS-land, not a whole lot.... lots of new members and like weekendrider said, you'll read about john.

Have fun with that yard!

Glad to hear you are alive and well Barbs, you have been on my mind of late, conspicuous in your absence. .......... 90, that's a dam good innings and its good to hear he is on the up and it is a good feeling to be able to give back some of your time while you can. I'm sure you had great time with him.

Welcome Back

Hi Guys,

Well, crap. I feel great about being back and posting, and terrible about John. I know it happens, and all of us are rolling dice whenever we leave the house, but....it's so unfair!

Anyway, I am glad to be home, and working on the XS and chair. I've been riding my BMW airhead (beautiful indeed in any language!) and working on the XS. The charging system needs more attention...big surprise, huh?

I wonder how one would go about getting a small patch to say, "Memory of XSJohn"....that would be very cool. I'll have to check that out.

Happy to be home......

Wherever your Dad is make sure he continues to eat and drink fluids. Not wanting to do that is what took mine out, and it's common. But he had a rich long life, and I feel his presence daily and I know he's still around!

Barb,
Maybe a patch that says:

8.1:1

The ultimate inside show of respect.

That is the very best idea ever! Let's do it!!

(And absolutely--lots of fluids and food! He gained weight while I was there and my niece says he is eating and drinking wonderfully! He even is doing his exercises every day.)

8.1:1-----how many people do you suppose would want one? Any takers?

I think a memorial patch is a great idea. Put me down for two.
What should it incorporate? XS650 should be on it somewhere for sure.
8.1-1 is good. Maybe his old signature "the old Yamaha mechanic"?

Hey Barb, one old friend lost, another returns.
8.1:1 good stuff.
Helping family and a ride through the North West double good.
Anything we can help with on the charging system?

Back