Shift fork pad thickness, trans question...

RCGRT

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me how thick the pads are supposed to be on the shift forks, and possibly the wear limit or tolerance of them? They look good cosmetically, nice flat faces on each side. However prior to my rebuild I was having some trouble falling out of a few gears, like 3rd and 4th, mostly I think going from 2nd to 3rd. I did find the upper spring broken, (I posted a picture of this in another thread) which I just took it and bent it up to try it, but maybe it's a little stiff now, causing it to stick in between gears as I try and go thru it by hand (while trying to keep the shaft turning by hand at the same time) Anyway, just thought I'd inspect the shift forks while I'm in there, they look ok, not obviously bent or anything like that, but I don't know what the specs are so....
Also all of the lugs look pretty decent as well, some minor wear, but nothing major, and none missing or broken, but again, I don't know what the wear limits are. The lugs seem to have a reverse taper to them, which I'm assuming keeps them engaged...I would think at some point, enough wear and they'll fall away from each other...just my theory at this point, I still don't have a manual...I know shame shame...just haven't gotten around to it...Anyway, any help or advice, thanks in advance....

Can anyone tell me how thick the pads are supposed to be on the shift forks, and possibly the wear limit or tolerance of them? They look good cosmetically, nice flat faces on each side. However prior to my rebuild I was having some trouble falling out of a few gears, like 3rd and 4th, mostly I think going from 2nd to 3rd. I did find the upper spring broken, (I posted a picture of this in another thread) which I just took it and bent it up to try it, but maybe it's a little stiff now, causing it to stick in between gears as I try and go thru it by hand (while trying to keep the shaft turning by hand at the same time) Anyway, just thought I'd inspect the shift forks while I'm in there, they look ok, not obviously bent or anything like that, but I don't know what the specs are so....
Also all of the lugs look pretty decent as well, some minor wear, but nothing major, and none missing or broken, but again, I don't know what the wear limits are. The lugs seem to have a reverse taper to them, which I'm assuming keeps them engaged...I would think at some point, enough wear and they'll fall away from each other...just my theory at this point, I still don't have a manual...I know shame shame...just haven't gotten around to it...Anyway, any help or advice, thanks in advance....
if the forks are smooth with no obivious wear and the gears don't have wear on the dogs or gear pockets that spring was most likely the problem but get the right spring and adjust selector mechanism properly http://theflyingxs.blogspot.com.au/2012/02/parts-manuals.html

Oh cool, sounds good, yeah everything looked pretty good visually, I just wasn't sure if there were some critical wear specs on any of that stuff. Any idea where I can get the "right" spring? I looked thru a few of the industrial catalogs that I have, and it looks like I can measure it up and get pretty close, however I'd just rather get the right one.
And thanks for the link!

Do check the dogs on your gears - telltale sign of rooted dogs is slipping/jumping out of gear when under load.

What is the best method for checking them? Is there dimensional specs in the manual?

Back