Shift shaft replacement

RadMax

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
So I’ve got a 1980 XS650 Special, couple miles on it... To make a long story short, the splines on the shift shaft rounded off a bit, and it won’t go into gear, the shifter rotates on the shaft with both shifters. I tried replacing the toe shifter, that’s not the problem. I know it’s weird for the shaft to wear out and not the shifter. Anyway, since this part of my manual is missing, and I’ve got two spare engines, what do I need to do to replace it? Do I need to remove the clutch?

So I’ve got a 1980 XS650 Special, couple miles on it... To make a long story short, the splines on the shift shaft rounded off a bit, and it won’t go into gear, the shifter rotates on the shaft with both shifters. I tried replacing the toe shifter, that’s not the problem. I know it’s weird for the shaft to wear out and not the shifter. Anyway, since this part of my manual is missing, and I’ve got two spare engines, what do I need to do to replace it? Do I need to remove the clutch?

Hi RadMax
Finagle's Law of Dynamic Negatives sez:- "The expensive part always wears out first."
Put the best pedal where it needs to be, drill an axial 1/8" hole in through the splines and pound in a roll-pin.

Hi RadMax
Finagle's Law of Dynamic Negatives sez:- "The expensive part always wears out first."
Put the best pedal where it needs to be, drill an axial 1/8" hole in through the splines and pound in a roll-pin.
Sorry Fred I don't agree with that. Roll pin to much trouble to remove in order to take off side cover. If it would happen to bend could make it a real bitch. Or worse if it sheared far from home could ruin your day. The shaft can be had on E-Bay for less than $50. Not that hard to replace. Take off clutch cover, remove clutch, remove shaft and replace.

Max, if you click the Tech button you'll find a couple of links to free downloads of the factory service manual. An alternative to the roll pin fix would be to drill and thread a hole in the shift lever for a 5 mm. set screw, position the lever, and drill into the shaft just far enough to give the screw a seat. If you also run a hacksaw blade down the slot in the lever to enable a bit more grip, you should have a decently strong repair.

LMFAO!!!!! I needed a good laugh, thanks dude! No worries here, I’ve got two short blocks that came with the bike, so I’ve got spares, I just need to figure out how to get them out. I don’t have the heart to tell you what I paid for this thing, but if I had a spare frame, I could more than likely build a second bike.

Not that hard to replace. Take off clutch cover, remove clutch, remove shaft and replace.
Since you have spare engines fix it correctly.

Sorry Fred I don't agree with that. Roll pin to much trouble to remove in order to take off side cover. If it would happen to bend could make it a real bitch. Or worse if it sheared far from home could ruin your day. The shaft can be had on E-Bay for less than $50. Not that hard to replace. Take off clutch cover, remove clutch, remove shaft and replace.

Hi GLJ
.use a long roll-pin & pull it out with Vise-grips.
You ever tried bending or shearing a roll-pin BTW? T'aint easy.
I do have a new shifter shaft but when it's install procedure starts with "remove the sidecar"
the roll-pin fix makes a lot more sense.

.use a long roll-pin & pull it out with Vise-grips.
If you have to pound it in do you really think it will just "pull out"?
If there is a sidecar involved it would make sense if you don't have the time to remove the car.
I would still rather replace the shaft. Just me.

If you have to pound it in do you really think it will just "pull out"?
If there is a sidecar involved it would make sense if you don't have the time to remove the car.
I would still rather replace the shaft. Just me.

Hi GLJ,
Drilled thru spline with shifter clamping bolt loose, inserted pin then tightened shifter clamping bolt.
Pin should pull OK when bolt is loosened.
Us retired folks got the time but consider the hassle.
extend bike side-stand. Put sidecar wheel on lowbed trolley. Put sidecar lower cross-ties on blocked up trolleys.
Remove upper & lower attachment bolts. Swing upper struts upwards. Unplug sidecar electrics. Roll sidecar sideways.
Do this in a garage that's only two feet wider than the rig. When you are as old as me.
Or pin the shifter on.

20200819_214607.jpg
Hi all..... The Funky fix:rolleyes: .... I drilled parralel to the splines while the selecter pedal was in place and ajusted as i like it .
find a piece of stainless or steel dowl 3 to 4 mm diameter. Drill between the selector pedal clamp (Oposite to where the 10mm bolt gose through) I.E where the splines of the selector pedal and the shaft mesh together...(drill the hole in the same plaine as the splines half the drill hole on the seletor peddal spline and the other half on the selector shaft splines ) ...Loosen the sector pedal 10mm nut, once you have drilled through taking care not to drill into the casing , tap the steel dowl of the same diametre as the drill hole into the drilled hole, tighten the 10mm bolt down ...This fix is an awsome fix as it still allows you to remove the pedal gear selecter when needing to remove the casing for future work... Picture says more it was hard to explaine but this will give you an idea :D:)

Last edited:
View attachment 173734 Hi all..... The Funky fix:rolleyes: .... I drilled parralel to the splines while the selecter pedal was in place and ajusted as i like it .
find a piece of stainless or steel dowl 3 to 4 mm diameter. Drill between the selector pedal clamp (Oposite to where the 10mm bolt gose through) I.E where the splines of the selector pedal and the shaft mesh together...(drill the hole in the same plaine as the splines half the drill hole on the seletor peddal spline and the other half on the selector shaft splines ) ...Loosen the sector pedal 10mm nut, once you have drilled through taking care not to drill into the casing , tap the steel dowl of the same diametre as the drill hole into the drilled hole, tighten the 10mm bolt down ...This fix is an awsome fix as it still allows you to remove the pedal gear selecter when needing to remove the casing for future work... Picture says more it was hard to explaine but this will give you an idea :D:)

Hi funky.
the saying is true! Your picture is clearer than my thousand words.
My fix looks like your fix except I used a 3mm diameter roll-pin instead of a steel dowel and my roll-pin is too long so it sticks out a bit.

Back