Best manual, not shop or tech. Best detail for novice to advanced

The Phantom

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Howdie, I see Clymer and Haines on EBay. Wondering about buying a manual that has best reputation. And where to get it.
Also would like to get experience on seal replacement for 45 year old special. Gear shift shaft, clutch rod seal, kickstart shaft, valve cam seals. Should all be replaced? I’m not real thrilled to split crankcase. Fork seals. The seals are not currently leaking but bike hasn’t run in 38 years. Please help.

Depending on goals and what you are going to do .
I would not change seals .I would get the machine up an running getting some miles on it .
Please read how the startup is done best practice.
And would not be surprised later if some seals have dried out.
Sometimes there are other problems with the machine making them sit 38 years.
Sometimes the seller forgets to tell about it ( have I heard )
And there is always something that show up after the Purchase Be it normal wear or worse

There are factory service manuals for free fex there

https://thexscafedotcom.wordpress.com/2011/01/10/xs650-manuals/

Top of the page is a button called TECH. You should really get familiar with it. There's not many questions you'll have that can't be found there...

Untitled.png

I prefer a hard copy and have had good luck finding them on eBay for $10 to $20. Just be aware that every year didn't get a full manual. Full manuals only came out every couple of years with "supplements" issued for the years in between. So, if your model got a "supplement", you will want the last full manual previous to it and the supplement. Thankfully, Yamaha published them with the supplements included, for instance, here's the '74 full manual that includes supplements for '75, '76, and '77 .....

74-77ManualOld.jpg

You don't want just a supplement, they're only like 20 or 30 pages and only outline the changes from the last full manual.

XS Cafe has the factory manuals. I've already given him the PDF for that in another thread.... which most consider the best out there.
Perhaps he want's a hard copy?
I’m not too particular, but I do like getting the pages dirty . Yup, I’m looking for a reliable hard copy. Leather bound with gold on the outside edges of the pages

Back