shifter shaft seal leak

Matt Isaacs

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Nube mistake and question: I had a leak at my shifter shaft seal. Removed the seal by drilling a hole in it to insert a screw. But in the process, the drill slipped and gouged the side of the wall.

So now I'm wondering: can I sand down the gouge and fill it with a bit of JB Weld? Or something better? Other ideas?

Thanks

I can't see it making any difference to oil tightness myself but I'm sure others will have a different view.

The new clutch push rod bush has a split along its length and is spring steel so that it stays in place .....otherwise the bush would be continually pressed out by the action of the push rod.

Once you have fitted a new bush, the push rod shouldn't wobble anymore , so the new oil seal should seal perfectly around the shaft. Even if there was a slight weep of oil past the new shaft bush it would be contained by the new oil seal .

Every time I read that owners use a drill to remove the clutch push rod bush I wince .

I made a video some years back when I first removed mine. Looking at my replacement bush i could immediately see that there was a much easier way to remove the old bush without drilling and risking any damage. Maybe it could added to the tech section ?;)
30611-3b1f1f7497515d951c420dcea1103b84.jpg

Last edited:
Back