Shipping Carbs from USA to Australia

GarnZ

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I just had trouble with the seller of some '74 Keihin Carburettors, unable to post them from Wisconsin USA.

The Ebay purchase was cancelled and my PalPal was refunded (In part... not sure about post yet).
Evidently, an over zealous post office clerk, stated they were considered a dangerous item and postage was not permitted.
The post was proposed from Wisconsin to Sydney.

I'm very disappointed as the purchase was a good deal and I would learn a lot from having a spare set!
Can anyone let me know, how "used carbs" can be legally sent to Australia?.
What can a seller do to ensure they don't conflict with postage/ import laws?
What precautions can I advise potential sellers so that the sale goes thru?
RegardZ.

I have had several sets sent from the states.? Don't know what the issue would be, if they are clean/drained etc...? Might have been deemed dangerous if the seller mentioned petrol.?

Anything fuel related is going to be considered HAZMAT. It undesirable for air travel. If broken down and all fuel residue is removed, they should pose no threat.

I've had 3 used sets and a rebuilt set sent from US to Asia at different times without a hitch. May be something the seller put on the declaration when posting I'd say. I'd be disappointed too.

Yeah I've sent carbs everywhere. I'll also guess the clerk smelled gas and that would be a deal stopper, domestic OR international, too bad seller was a dummy.

Many thanks for your posts..
I think I will give some advice to seller next time, to avoid this situation.
I did let the seller know that I'm still interested, using the email address stated on PayPal receipt. At this point, no answer!
RegardZ.

Maybe seller thought the auction went too cheap and he used the shipping as an excuse?

Watch and see if he runs another auction for them.....

gggGary could be right on the seller using postage as a way of getting out of the sale.

Next time ask the seller to put "Used motorcycle parts" on the label and if there is a question about dangerous goods, (they ask if there is anything inflammable over here), just say no. Shouldn't be a problem.

In your first post you say the postage hasn't been returned, it should have all been in the refund from paypal?

Do you have a link to the ebay sale?

GGG & Skull, I'm a bit slack.... The purchase price was refunded and another amount came back under a different identity ... Could even be a refund for the XS650 calendar?
I am pretty sure I got my refund back including postage!

How is this for a link...

Yamaha tx carburetor set 1974[ order details] Item # 291032135999

Seller: nwhotrod71nick ( 46)
Item condition: Used
Postage: US $36.26
Estimated delivery: Between 8 - 10 business days
If seller receives cleared payment today.
This international order may take longer to arrive and may cost more to post.

Thanks for your interest,,,, You could be correct... Used the Dangerous goods to get out of sale! However, he did seemed concerned and I think I'll give him the benifit of the doubt ( I'm an old softy!)
RegardZ.

I looked up the restrictions. If the carburetors were presented as used carburetors, and/or there is any fuel residue on them, they can't go. Gasoline is a no-no. Cleaning them until they are completely odorless and presenting them as motorcycle parts gets the job done.

# worked. I think he was a bit generous is saying they come off a running bike but all up no a bad price.

If you get the seller to put "Motorcycle parts" and not "Used motorcycle parts" you could end up with problems again because they may think you are trying to avoid GST so customs may open them, Then you could loose the lot with no refund at all.

Back