shocks

Mark Mickley

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I am considering replacing my stock rear shocks on my 1974 tx650. I'm interested with a good ride first without sacrificing any handling characteristics. Tx is basically used to commute back and forth to work 27 miles one way. I see Mikes xs has a number of different shocks for sale in various lengths. What would you xs650 riders recommend as replacement shocks?:umm:
Thanks, Mark

Hello, Thanks for the reply. The 13-1/2" shocks are about an inch longer than the stock shocks. What is the advantage of using a longer shock?

3/4" longer, actually. Without going into the why's and wherefore's, raising the rear on these machines makes the steering quicker and much more linear (evens out the steering inputs required at different degrees of heel). Be sure to upgrade steering head bearings and swingarm bushings as well, get shock springs compatible with your bike and rider weight, and avoid cheap shocks--you'll get no more than what you pay for in a bargain shock, and often you'll get less.

Progressive Series 14, 13-1/2" eye-to-eye.

I'm looking for shocks as well. I see the Progressive 13" @ 650 central but no 13.5" where can you get the 13.5" or is it the same?
Also how do you figure out which springs are correct for your bike and rider weight?

Thanks Bill

Last edited:
Just call 650 Central and tell Michael the length you want; he can get it for you if he doesn't have it in stock. Dampers are the same, eye-to-eye length differs.

And tell him your weight and riding style (just cruising or more aggressive) and he'll recommend springs as well.

Back