Shocks

JayDee24ca

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I recently installed a side stand and a center stand on this new-to-me 1980 XS. The side stand, when deployed, is very close to the tip line, and I am entirely unable to deploy the center stand. I am simply unable to lift the bike onto the center, even with the front wheel on a 2x4.
It occurs to me that the PO may have installed shorter shocks to lower the bike. They are 11 inches eye to eye installed on the bike, uncompressed. CAn anyone tell me what the eye to eye length is on stock shocks?
Oh, the reason I am installing these components is that the bike was previously used as a tug, so no need of supports.
Thanks!!
John D.

Last edited:
Thanks for that. The bike was modified for sidecar use, so clearance and peg scraping of was not an issue. Now that I have removed the sidecar, I will need to modify it's stance with longer shocks, from what you are saying.

Put a set of 11"s from a rebel ( a popular thing back a few years ago) :umm: on a bike for Allison, rode it to town for gas. Took those shocks off as soon as I got home. A gory spark filled turn/slide leaving a stop sign was enough for me. stock or slightly longer shocks. :thumbsup:
PS the lift the bike 2x4 goes under the rear tire. :sneaky:

Yes, an 80 had the "Special" series shocks. You could actually benefit by finding shocks just a tad longer than the originals.
I put 340mm eye to eye on my "Special" and the side stand, centerstand do work very well with that length.
-R

I haven't seen a halfway decent pair of new shocks for much less than $200. Check offerings from Progressive Suspension, Hagon, and YSS. Michael Morse at 650 Central can set you up with a pair of Progressive Series 14 oil damped shocks with springs that are right for your rider weight. 13" eye-to-eye is close to stock length, 13-1/2" will give you quicker and more linear steering. The 14's are a bolt-on fit.

Thanks for the advice regarding brands. I am looking at a few different options, likely go with the KYBs. I didn't really want to spend the cash, but I guess that's always the case, isn't it. I spent way too much earlier this winter on a couple of other bike projects, and I am starting to get the stink eye whenever a new parcel arrives at the door, if you know what I mean....

JayDee, you didn't say where you live, but I am guessing California. I do have a pair of Hagons, used for about a year, before I replaced them with Øhlins. If you were closer, I'd happily let them go for 100 US$
They are made for the XS, and 330 mm long. Which converts to 12 5/8"

Y'now, I have a couple of old sets of 13 inch shock from my Guzzis up in my cultch heap. Maybe I'll take a look at them to see if they will work. They were a good quality shock. I replaced them with a set of air shocks a few years back. Might save me from SWIMBO. At least for a while...

JayDee, you didn't say where you live, but I am guessing California. I do have a pair of Hagons, used for about a year, before I replaced them with Øhlins. If you were closer, I'd happily let them go for 100 US$
Thanks for your kind offer, but I am in Canada, right on the US border. If the border was open and I could access my post box in Danville I would avail myself of your offer, but it is slow and expensive these days getting things from the US shipped to Canada.
JD

Later Guzzis came with Konis so they might very well be good shocks. That's what I run on most of my bikes. I bought them all used but they're getting more expensive and harder to find. But sometimes you still run across a deal. The ones on my '78 Standard were only about $60. They were missing the rubber bushings in the eyes but that was no big deal, I just swapped some in from some other old shocks .....

R7ktR6m.jpg

These came off a Guzzi and have the offset bottom eye I like to use .....

BGTc51i.jpg

Whatever those Guzzi shocks are, if they're in good shape they'll be better than OE Kayabas and most aftermarket shocks in the $200 range; Guzzi used good stuff in their suspensions. Might need lighter springs, some Guzzi models were pretty hefty.

It's all good. I used an old set off my G5 V1000. I had a set of no name progressives that would have worked as well, but I think the seals may be shot, and I like the look of the original Guzzi shocks anyway. The XS sits much better now, and I am able to use the center stand, which was the goal of this swap. Thanks for all the assistance!
JD

Back