Short in turn signal switch, looking to replace

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Switch-ligh...ies&vxp=mtr&hash=item4ab6a9885d#ht_1496wt_961

I have a solder point on my stock 1980 left signal switch that's come undone.
I think a new housing would look good for the switches anyways, anyone run with a setup like this?

I have a short in my wires so I snagged that same switch you linked to....does same functions and cheaper than Mikes OEM @ $50 + S&H, made from aluminum unlike OEM plastic, and looks thinner by width, which would offer better clearance for my hydraulic clutch lever....

I'm supposed to get it in the next few days, so I'll update you with my experience if you haven't already purchased too :thumbsup:

I have a short in my wires so I snagged that same switch you linked to....does same functions and cheaper than Mikes OEM @ $50 + S&H, made from aluminum unlike OEM plastic, and looks thinner by width, which would offer better clearance for my hydraulic clutch lever....

I'm supposed to get it in the next few days, so I'll update you with my experience if you haven't already purchased too :thumbsup:

Actually ordered, received, and installed that switch just a few days ago.
I really like it, no push to cancel the turn signals anymore, and it wasn't too much of a hassle to put on.

If you're running it to stock wiring on your bike make sure to take off the turn signal cancelling unit and close out the reserve lighting unit from the headlight. If you run into any snags I can help you out easily.

Received mine today.....not the greatest at wiring so I'm a lil confused.....

First off, I have stock wiring. I removed the signal canceling unit and also did the RLU removal (jumping blue/yellow to blue/black wires).

The new switch has two wires for the horn, but doesn't the stock wiring only have the pink wire for the horn? I'm confused because the stock harness has a plug with all these wires in addition to the separate wires (i.e. grounds, headlamp, and signal wires).....whereas the new switch only has 8 distinct wires.

Should I just keep plugging things in until it works :D

Footnote - anyone wanting to jump in the conversation, here is a picture of the new wires:
281556782_o.jpg

ok,.. headlight main (+) should be your freshly bypassed blue/yellow, hi beam is yellow low is green. turn (+) is brown/white, left brown right green. horn 1 side to pink other side to ground, all this by memary so check everthing before

The solder joint you're talking about is probably one of the three that is always loose in that switch. If you just re-solder it well it's better than new.

OK I got the headlight and horn to work fine but the blinkers aren't blinking. Just makes a click when I move the switch to off.
Was I supposed to do something with the wires going to the flasher cancel unit (now removed)?

Last edited:
Rear left turn signal wire is Ch, Chocolate, make sure you haven't hooked it up to the brown wires

ok,.. headlight main (+) should be your freshly bypassed blue/yellow, hi beam is yellow low is green. turn (+) is brown/white, left brown right green. horn 1 side to pink other side to ground, all this by memary so check everthing before

Rear left turn signal wire is Ch, Chocolate, make sure you haven't hooked it up to the brown wires

Rear signals have worked fine previous to this.....I have not bothered them it's the front ones I'm working with....but I am not getting any blinkers working at all. I have plugged and unplugged several configurations without luck but I will check them again.

LOL. I think I figured it out. I had removed the Light Checker instead of the Turn Signal Canceling Unit. :D

Back