Should I be concerned about this

hard_y_rd

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
Fresh rebuild, engine bored 1st size over, new pistons, rings and wrist pins. New cam chain tensioner guide all new gaskets and filters. Haven't been run much. Maybe 3 or 4 test starts in the garage. Not ridden. Found a good bit of filings in the side case filter cover. Never pulled the filters. Probably should clean them. What is acceptable on a fresh rebuild. I know there should be some with the new parts and all.

Attachments

• IMG_1993.jpg
    IMG_1993.jpg
    303.8 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
- - - Found a good bit of filings in the side case filter cover. Never pulled the filters. Probably should clean them. What is acceptable on a fresh rebuild. I know there should be some with the new parts and all.

Hi hard_y_rd,
you should be concerned enough to pull the sump screen (I refuse to say "filter" about that coarse of a wire mesh) to wash it and check it for torn mesh and the presence of debris.
And see how many iron filings (or, horrors! chunks of transmission parts) are piled up on the drain plug magnets.
And wash the screen under that cap in the photo and see what's in the cleaning fluid.
Then run the bike 100 miles or so with new oil and check again.

Back