Show your luggage racks

CoastsideXS650

Princeton Motor Works
Reaction score
I was hoping people could show their luggage racks and saddlebag setups.

I also was curious about the compatibility between years and sissy bars/luggage racks.

Are standard and special racks interchangable?

Are Special racks interchangable between pre-1980 and after the seat redesign post-1980?

Especially interested in this kind of rack:
newxs650b1.jpg

- - - I also was curious about the compatibility between years and sissy bars/luggage racks.
Are standard and special racks interchangable?
Are Special racks interchangable between pre-1980 and after the seat redesign post-1980? - - -

Hi Coastwise,
A rack that uses the top shock mount as an attachment point will only fit the bike it's meant for as Standards and Specials top shock mounts are in different places.
I had trouble installing a rack from a post-1980 Special onto a 1979 Special.
The rack fitted onto the '79 perfectly but alas, it wouldn't let the '79's hinged seat swing open.

Here is a combination rack and seat back on my '81/H. The seat back retracts for the passenger. Real comfy on long rides.

mybike6.jpg

I have the Krauser bag and rack set-up on mine. I used the stock Krauser rear mounts to attach at the tail light but needed to fab custom straps for the front .....

PolyamidRackDetails.jpg

StrapMounts.jpg

The bags are quick release and remove with the push of a button .....

650Fall08-2.jpg

650Fall08-1.jpg

These all look great. Anyone have any success making their own racks?

Hi coastside,
I made the folding trunk rack and gas can rack on my sidecar:-

mainrackfolded.jpg

out of recycled steel tube garden chairs.
OK if you don't mind the bamboo look of the welds and yeah, black paint is WAY cheaper than chrome.
I've built others for my XS11 & XS650 but sorry, no photos and alas, I've run out of garden chairs.

Our first large trash pick-up day of the season is coming and I'm getting ready to go scrounging, lol.

Back