Side cover flashes: Source?

TeeCat

One-Mik Wonder
Reaction score
Hi, gents. :)

I'm almost afraid to type this out loud, but this season - though I'm still keeping my eyes and ears on a couple little things - my '73 has been running so stupendously that I have been lately turning my attention to gradually sorting cosmetic niceties.

One of the things that I want to sort soon is the following:

yamdec24.jpg

These are sources from HVCCycle.com, but man... they're 'spensive! :eek: My existing ones are okay, but the right one is (not really visibly) cracked, which is likely why a PO filled the hole for the missing post with epoxy. The rest of the right one's (as I recall) posts, as well as the left one, are still on with the proper star clips. I'd like to replace them, though, as the chrome in them (they appear to be plastic) is a bit weathered in spots. I'll also have to trim the lower point of the left one to accommodate my single carb setup... not worried about that.

Does anyone have a better (less expensive) source for a pair of these in excellent condition? If not, I'll have to pay the tariff, I suppose, but I would expect to perhaps pay that much for a pair... not one.

Danke! :)

EDIT: By the way, this place has a really informative website, and a great product inventory, just in case we want to cite them as a potential parts/tech source.

TC

There was an ebay seller letting repo sets go for about 100 for both sides but haven't seen any go up recently. I recently bought a 73 at least partly because it had decent side cover chrome. :shrug:

Thank you, Gary. I might have to start watching e-bay for them. The few times I have looked, I never see any that are in the kind of condition I'd hope for.

One other possibility (if need be) is to use sheet aluminum to make custom ones that would match the handful of other such parts I have made for the bike, such as my air cleaner shroud, case top reflector plate, and gauge visors. I could secure them with fancy button-head machine screws. Matt-finished aluminum doesn't bother me at all. :)

TC

Hi, gents. :)

I'm almost afraid to type this out loud, but this season - though I'm still keeping my eyes and ears on a couple little things - my '73 has been running so stupendously that I have been lately turning my attention to gradually sorting cosmetic niceties.

congrats on that!!! :cheers:

Thanks, mate. Sometimes, I have to pinch myself, since when I started this restomod four years ago, I couldn't find my own ass with both hands in broad daylight with a flashlight. Thanks to many kind and infinitely patient peeps on here, sometimes I just sit and stare at her nowadays.

TC

Thanks, mate. Sometimes, I have to pinch myself, since when I started this restomod four years ago, I couldn't find my own ass with both hands in broad daylight with a flashlight. Thanks to many kind and infinitely patient peeps on here, sometimes I just sit and stare at her nowadays.

TC

:)Thats pretty dam cool man :bike:

Back