Side panel badges

Trevor9

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi all, this is for the americans really. I have a xs650sh 1981 imported from the USA, and i'm trying to find what badges/emblems are on the side panels on this model.

1644008846640.png

AFAIK, all 1981 Specials (XS650, XS850, XS1100) wear the check mark on the side panel.

Attachments

• 1643998958788.png
    1643998958788.png
    165.1 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
Last edited:
I stand corrected, In 81 the SH did indeed have the checkmark emblem. The (regular) special in 81 had the same emblem minus the check mark though according to the parts book. The heritage emblem was not introduced until 82.
I know there's confusion, especially in FOR SALE listings.
1644006691893.png

The current 1981 fiche shows the correct badge, but it's NLA. It is available reproduction and MikesXS has a closeout price on them right now.

I forgot one. The Special II does not have a check mark badge as you noted.

I know there's confusion, especially in FOR SALE listings.
View attachment 206855
The current 1981 fiche shows the correct badge, but it's NLA. It is available reproduction and MikesXS has a closeout price on them right now.

I forgot one. The Special II does not have a check mark badge as you noted.
Thanks for your comprehensive reply.
I have a parts list Manuel, but could not make out the picture of the badge.
What is a closeout price? And how much is it?
This is a fantastic site which I will need to heavily rely on trying to get my sx650 on the road.
One point I've noticed is that a lot of XS owners seem to have butchered wiring, just like me mine.

Diablo Cycle in Canada has 'em. 50 bucks a pop... per side. :yikes:
Look here.
They advertise 'em as for a '78 Special, but they ain't... '78 wasn't that style.
Maybe send 'em an email and ask 'em to give you the mount dimensions...

Untitled.png

1644010784573.png

Take note. The Diablo Cycles badges are left and right. They likely are metal and come from Badge Replicas in Oz. Try the link as shipping could be better from there.
The MikesXS badges are plastic and you are buying two lefts. The right side will be backwards. There's a price for getting it right. My SH wears 1980 badges because of this.

View attachment 206861
Take note. The Diablo Cycles badges are left and right. They likely are metal and come from Badge Replicas in Oz. Try the link as shipping could be better from there.
The MikesXS badges are plastic and you are buying two lefts. The right side will be backwards. There's a price for getting it right. My SH wears 1980 badges because of this.
I suspect you're right Marty. They advert 'em for a '78 Special too.

Back