Silly question?

wacko

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Ok still trouble shooting some problems with my engine. Have had the carbs off several times because I'm pretty sure it is do to something being plugged up from sitting for a couple years. But have started investigating other possibilities.

Anyways here is the silly question. If I pull the spark plug cap off the right side when the engine is running and leave the left side on the engine continues to run.

HOWEVER if I pull the sparkplug cap off the left side while leaving the right side on the engine dies.

Is this normal or does this suggest the right side isn't firing?

Thanks in advance

Yeah it's pointing at SOME sort of right side issue. could be carb, ignition or compression. What year, what ignition are you running? You should have a grounded spark plug on the side you remove. Some ignitions don't like it if there is no place for the spark to jump.

Its a 79 with points. I am simply pulling the cap off the plug while it is running. When I pull the right side nothing happens, when i pull the left side it dies.

put a plug on it, is it firing? what does the plug look like when you pull it out? wet, dry?

Yes. Not not very good, but it should run. If it doesn't make any difference whether the right is connected or not that side is not contributing at all.

Swap the plug wires left for right and see if the problem switches to the other side. If it does then ignition is your problem. If it doesn't it's probably a carb.

Also, what do your plugs look like?

Your carbs could simply be out of sync. One side is running faster than the other. That faster side will run on it's own when you pull the other plug. The slower side will not.

Ok, making some progress. I think there was a problem with the right side plug wire. I took it apart, trimmed the end and put it back together. That solved what I thought was my plugged carb problem. It pulls clean all the way through on the throttle!!!! That's the good news.

The bad news, as soon as I attach the repaired plug wire to the plug when the bike is running the engine starts popping. pop pop pop. Any suggestions? I am running a 2into1 header cut off just before the muffler. I do have a lollipop installed.

Thanks in advance

Back