Simple wiring diagram. How does this look?

Brett

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm coming to the end of 18 month build on my '81 xs650 project and I'm half way through the wiring.

I'm not running a starter or turn signals and trying to keep things as simple as possible.

Below is the wiring plan I've put together with a lot of help from diagrams on this site (thanks to everyone who has posted a diagram!).

My main concern is the black wire from the bushes. It's a later model bike with combined rectifier / regulator but there is a black, as opposed to a brown wire going from the brushes to the rectifier. (From what I can tell, the brush with the black wire is not grounded if that means anything). I've checked the old loom as much as is possible (it's a cut up mess!) and it seems it was connected to the brown wire going to the rectifier before, but I'm trying to get a better understanding before I complete the wiring and start it up. (I'm using a small, light Shorai 7amp Lithium Iron Phosphate battery. Fantastic thing - but if I short it - it's fried!)

(The battery, ECU and fuse box are held in a small enclosed tank under the seat)

Any other suggestions and constructive criticism would be really helpful!

Thanks
Brett

Attachments

• wiring.JPG
    wiring.JPG
    86.1 KB · Views: 460
Unless you're using a latching relay(unusual/uncommon), you'll have to keep holding the momentary handlebar button down for high beams. Front brake (if you have one) won't light the brake light. Otherwise seems okay to me.

Thanks. I was unsure about that high beam switch, I'll have to revise that - or look into a latching relay.

Thanks. I was unsure about that high beam switch, I'll have to revise that - or look into a latching relay.

The most straight-forward approach would be to replace the momentary switch with a standard two-position on-off switch. If you're trying for a very minimal on-handlebar switch appearance, there's plenty of tiny options; the switch only has to trip the relay, not power the light, so you can use just about any sort of 12V switch/button, as long as it isn't momentary.

Better that than to have a latching relay. Keep the relay simple and standard, like one of the common Bosch "ice-cube" types, and you'll have less problems in the long run.

I'm using this switch to keep things simple.

I wanted the horn, kill and dip switches as one unit and liked this switch (shown below, from here
http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/VWP-onlinestore/motorcycle/switches.php. )

But the red kill switch is grounded on the bars to complete the circuit, and I know that the XS650 needs a complete off switch in the circuit due to the ignition system. So I was going to use the light switch as the kill switch and the red kill switch to dip the lights via a relay, but I'll try to come up with another solution.

They do sell a latching relay but it's a complicated and expensive way of doing it.

Attachments

• wipac tricon switch.jpg
    wipac tricon switch.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 223
I used a latching relay in the end and it works well. There are just three wires going to the headlamp.

I have a problem though - it won't start!
I wired it as in the diagram above but I'm not getting a spark (i tested each plug while I grounded them and could not see a spark when I kicked it over.)
I tested across the ignition coil primaries and I'm getting 2.7ohms.
I made up some new coil leads with the correct 5ohm caps and the screw connector with seal at the coil end.
It started before I stripped it down.
There's fuel in the carbs and I sprayed some directly through the carbs to prime it.
(A couple of times it's coughed back through the carbs when I've switched off the kill switch or the ignition key - not sure what that is)
Not sure what else could be wrong - I must be missing something!
Any ideas?? I really want to see it start!

Back