simplifying the electric system....

howry

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
hey all,
stripped the wiring, and simplified it now - well at least trying to. got few questions if anyone got answer speak up :) attatcehd 2 pix to know whats what.
1. is that what is a starter motor? on the diagram it shows that "motor" comes before the starter solenoid. am i missing something?
2. something weird with the ignition. got 3 wires, brown, red, blue/white. but the diagram got red orange and blue. how should i wire it up? orange as brown?

Attachments

• DSCF7545[1].jpg
    DSCF7545[1].jpg
    298.5 KB · Views: 91
  • DSCF7547[1].jpg
    DSCF7547[1].jpg
    302.6 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
The left picture is the starter relay or starter contactor (sometimes called a solenoid, but its not really a solenoid).

Your switch has red, brown and blue/yellow actually. Red is the battery supply side, connects to a 20 amp fuse and to the rectifier. Brown is the load side that connects to the 4 fuse holders and to the voltage regulator. The blue/yellow is wired to the light checker to supply the power to the taillight.

Many wiring diagrams..................you have to choose the right one depending on the year of your bike.

tnx. oh i do have the "official" wiring diagram. but following Q tip, path; im simplifiying and taking few components out(light checker, reserve lightning, safety relay) so the blue yellow wire will eventually go to the blue wire in taillight/brake light?

thank you retiredgentleman :) the xs650 guru. soo im just wondering, for everything i need to put a fuse? headlight fuse, left turn signals fuse, right turn signals fuse, brake fuse oh and the ignition fuse. and help me out with the "solenoid", there are 3 wires coming out(white/red white/blue and red) and 1 in(red). where do the the white/red and white/blue are going? do i need that solenoid anyways?

The wiring diagram in your picture has all your questions answered.

4 fuses.............main fuse 20, headlight 10, signals 10, ignition 10

red/white goes to the Safety Relay as in the diagram

blue/white goes to the electric starter push button as in the diagram

The solenoid is needed for the electric starter motor only.

k i figured yeah. wow, i messed up on the diagram lol found where it going yup. soo putting few more fuses is stupid? or prob cant eh? and quick one, just to clarify, does the brown wire that goes from the ignition switch goes to fuse box and to 3 differ wires with 10amp each?

k i figured yeah. wow, i messed up on the diagram lol found where it going yup. soo putting few more fuses is stupid? or prob cant eh? and quick one, just to clarify, does the brown wire that goes from the ignition switch goes to fuse box and to 3 differ wires with 10amp each?

That's correct

tnx :) no spark yet. but i think my problem was the grounding. with the simplified diagram, i am now able to have a horn, which didnt work, even before i striped the wiring down. oh hey, another thing, off topic tho, was it easy for you to get the ownership for the bike? mpi giving me headache, they dont have my model type. (xs650 2f, 1979)

Back