Single-carb conversion running poorly after change in air intake...

well this is good news, if you had good luck with it then hopefully I will to.

x2 bout the color i wish my pod was black

will do, im running joes chopper 2 into 1 intake with a 190 main and a 22.5 pilot. clip is in the middle on the needle and i have no clue what i set the mixture screw to. it fires right up everytime with the choke but seems to run a tad bit rich. I plan on doing a small little write up about it once i get it all tuned and figured out.

Well, at the risk of seeming neurotic about the pod color (which I suppose isn't really that big a deal), since I could not do any riding/testing this past weekend, I decided to play around with an idea that I adapted from intake heat shields in under-hood automotive applications. If I couldn't get a pod to complement the bike, then I figured I'd try to guss things up a bit. This doesn't serve as a heat shield in this application, but is more of a cosmetic bit, admittedly.

I took some thin gauge sheet aluminum and four button-head screws/nuts, and fashioned my own filter shroud. The mounting cleats are cut from the same material, and formed to accommodate the shape of the filter's shoulder, and are secured under the filter's retaining clamp. There is about 1/2" of space between the shroud and the filter, so as to keep it from obstructing air. A small square of low density foam is glued to the center/back of the shroud to keep it from being pressed against the filter at speed, and to prevent any possible flapping due to air passing between the shroud and the filter. I hope to take a spin with it this weekend, but I don't expect any reduction of air to the filter at all, as this is basically just a shroud. I finished all the edges by hand and polished it to a matte with steel wool. We'll see how it works out. If it doesn't, it'll only have cost me a few bucks and a few hours.

I'm no Gordon Scott, I'll concede, but the satisfaction of fabricating small cosmetic and/or functional bits with easily workable metals gives me a real appreciation of why all the Gordons and the Punkskalars out there do what they do, and of how well they do it. Even small bit fabrication is really difficult, I find. Cheers to those guys! :eek:

TC

Few piccies:

Attachments

• 100_1149.jpg
    100_1149.jpg
    320.3 KB · Views: 182
  • 100_1151.jpg
    100_1151.jpg
    324.1 KB · Views: 191
  • 100_1153.jpg
    100_1153.jpg
    321.4 KB · Views: 245
  • 100_1155.jpg
    100_1155.jpg
    333.7 KB · Views: 178
Okay, I think she's back to where she was before the ABS plenum on the old intake setup broke. I had two brief rides, one Saturday and one this evening, and I really could not be happier with the way the bike runs thus far. With the single Mikuni VM36, she fires right5 up on the first hot kick after a cold prime or two, comes off the choke very quickly as I play with the throttle a little, and likes an extra half/three-quarters of a turn in on the idle speed screw until she gets to op temp, at which time I set the idle to about 12 or 1300 rpm, where she'll sit quite stably, in gear. She seems to really like this breathing setup now! She's shifting well too, though neutral is a bit tricky hot, of course, and she likes to be rolling a little as you drop to first.

The only thing that concerns me at the mo is the sort of "Pete Jackson gear drive" sound that seems to be coming from the top end. I'm not sure if it's new, or if I'm just noticing it more with the single carb... who knows... It's not really obtrusive, but it's there. I have read a lot about it here, so the next time I get the bike hot, I'll check the timing chain adjustment. Last time I set it to about a 1mm bob, but it was warm... maybe not hot. There seemed to be plenty of adjustability, too. I just really want to get some non-diagnostic miles on the bike this season... I deserve it after working toward that since August of '07, with the help of too many people here to count! (Thanks again thus far!)

TC

I am very glad to see you got it figured out. did you ever think about dying to pod filter black? i made my own 2 into 1 intake very similar to yours and its about time to start working on getting mine running, so with your end result what jets and needle should i run for the vm36. also wheres the best place to buy because i keep hearing people say to watch out for the cheap Chinese version but i don't know the difference.

Hi, slugin -

Welcome to the one-mixer club! :)

I was looking for some black oil, but could not find any. Still on the lookout for that.

Here is my current setup for the VM36 for my particular application. This seems to be working well thus far:

- Wiseguy Customs 2-into-1 chrome ceramic-coated intake manifold (cafe/tracker configuration)
- air screw currently @1 turn out
- main air correction jet in intake bell: removed
- pilot jet: 25
- main jet: 200
- 159-P8 needle jet/6F9 needle (clip in middle slot)
- left side cover modified to accommodate single carb
- Mike's XS oval pod filter w/ custom aluminum air shroud
- dual microfilters (one off of each petcock)
- braided fuel line between brass fuel tee and carb inlet

I got my carb from a reputable vendor in Florida who has a store on Ebay, but the name eludes me at the mo. I'll try to recall/find it. I know I have it somewhere.

TC

Oh, just remembered! Niche Cycle. :)

Order pilot and main jets, and needle/needle jet, too... .this carb is shipped WAY too fat for this application.

TC

Back