Skid lid recommendations?

1974jh5

Curmudgeon.
Reaction score
It's about time for me to get a new brain bucket. I've been using my G Force car helmet which is a nice piece, comfy etc but the ventilation is lacking, plus it's sorta noisy since it wasn't meant to be used in an open slipstream. I have a nice Arai dirt bike helmet, nice stuff but IMHO a bit too pricey. It also doesn't work well at highway speeds, the visors will screw up the airflow. Raise your head at 80 MPH and the damn thing will try to tear your head off. Lower your head, it'll shove your chin into your chest.

So here's my criteria:

Under $200
Full face (no half helmets, etc)
Fiberglass/Kevlar/etc shell (no polycarbonate, I don't care what the mfgs say poly is NOT the way to go, can't easily paint it for one thing)
No tribal paint, stuntaz or other weirdo designs (I am an old fart).

Who's got what, are you satisfied, etc?

Scorpion makes a fiberglass/Kevlar under $200 that rates pretty well online but the paint schemes are all tribal etc. Zamp makes a fiberglass mix in that price range too, I'm wondering what else is out there.

I don't really care for the modulars, somehow a two piece helmet just doesn't appeal to me.

There are Nolan N102's on clearance in solid colors all over the place right now. I have the N43 Trilogy, and it's the highest quality helmet I have ever had. The original HJC Symax was glass, but they moved all thier non-layup production (Poly helmets) to China from Korea, and the quality sux. All of the laid up helmets they have now are Race Replica types, and 350 and up in price.

I have a matte black Scorpion Exo 500 and I love it. I got it for $160 after Black Friday last year at a local dealer, but it normally only goes for $200.

Coolest thing about it, IMO, is the fact that it's got a lever-actuated drop-down sun visor inside the face shield. I wear glasses, so unless I have my smoked shield on (which is worse than dangerous at night so I usually have the clear one on), I use the hell out of the internal shade. No douchebaggy graphics or anything either.

Be carefully with some Nolan's.. I believe they are great helmets from across the pond but not Dot.. could pose a problem depending on local enforcement ..

Posted via Mobile

Scorpion makes a fiberglass/Kevlar under $200 that rates pretty well online but the paint schemes are all tribal etc. Zamp makes a fiberglass mix in that price range too, I'm wondering what else is out there.

I don't really care for the modulars, somehow a two piece helmet just doesn't appeal to me.

Under $200 for glass surprises me. I haven't checked helmet cost in a while. I like the modular because I wear glasses. I wear my SkiDoo snomobile modular in both seasons.

Just aquired a new HJC SY-MAX2 modular. I really like the modular features and with the drop down internal sun visor and well engineered ventilation system I'm totally happy. Much more comfortable than my old Shoei X Series. The shell is fiberglass composite. Retail price point is about $300 and I was prepaired to pay it (it's my head you know!) but when I went to pay for it my dealer said "I'll take off $100 on that!"

Sweet!

roy

I don't know how important it is to you all, but I won't buy a helmet that isn't Snell approved. Probably just because I used to race SCCA, and that was their requirement. I've always figured if the racing organizations require it, it's a good idea to follow that lead. Just my 2 cents worth. I used to have and AGV that I liked that was just under $200, and I now have a Scorpion that was also. I like it a lot, very compfy, good ventilation, and Snell approved. FYI, always check for a Snell sticker inside the helmet, if it doesn't have the sticker it's not Snell approved.

DLD1

I wound up with a solid white Scorpion EX0700 on closeout for $119 plus shipping, it looks like the custom designs are still being produced. Fiberglass/Kevlar mix, Snell and DOT approved. I discovered they run a little tight; my G Force car helmet is a large, the Scorpion is an X-large and they both fit about the same. The cheek pads are tight but they should be.

For those wondering about Snell vs DOT, the big difference is the DOT standard has a lower G force transfer specification (meaning 'softer' internal padding) than Snell and does not include chin bar testing. Some scientists claim the 'harder' Snell padding etc transfer too much G force to the brain and can cause injury, the DOT and ECE lids transfer less and for that reason they are said by some to be safer regardless of shell construction.

Snell so far has not certified a modular helmet for the chin bar reason and only rarely will they certify a polycarbonate shell due to the splitting problem. I discovered first hand several years ago that a polycarbonate shell most definitely will split open on impact and that means it can roll right off your noggin, and a missing helmet doesn't do much to protect your melon. Snell used to have pictures of some broken open polycarbonate helmets, but they don't seem to be available online, guess some attorneys got to them.

A fiberglass or similar shell will break open as well but due to the fibers the damage is localized, i.e. the shell doesn't split all the way open.

You pays your money and you takes your choice.

I needed a helmet cheap and quick... went to Cycle Gear... what a selection! Got Cycle Gear brand (BILT), on sale, under $100 - and I feel like I really scored! It's comfortable, it's modular and replacement visors are $15

Back