Slathering upon assembly

hovel

ol' stupid
Reaction score
I didn't want to hijack the "sensible engine decision" thread. Two posters mentioned slathering the assembly with STP and the concept eludes me. I hope someone can enlighten me. I've never cared for STP as an assembly lube in the first place, I think there far better products for that task. If you ever get any quantity of that stuff in your oil, your clutch will let you know.

I think there far better products for that task.
Although I largely agree with that, I've used STP for engine buildup in the past. No more than you use, it's not really a problem with the clutch... at least that's been my experience.

Last edited:
I learned the trick from an A&P who built race engines on the side. His work was very popular and he remained very busy. I held the highest respect for him. He was putting some of the stuff together with STP. I've been doing ever since. If I had installed a new cam, etc., I probably would have chosen a proper assembly lube as I have done in the past. The STP seemed appropriate to me in my case. Time will tell.

I've had the same bottle of Lucas assembly lube for about 15 years. I've built several engines with it and never had a problem. :shrug:

I use Clevite assembly lube on the everything in the head. It's good stuff.
On the pistons just good non-synthetic motor oil.
upload_2021-3-19_11-53-45.png

I've used the STP many times on V8 engines, because driving old junk is how I roll. Once upon a time I changed only the bump stick and lifters on a Chevy 305. I'm pretty sure I used the assembly lube provided with the cam. I'm sure that's what I would have done if provided. Otherwise, that STP stuff is some slippery snot!

This stuff has been my go to for ages. Cams, followers.... stuff like that. Everything else gets plain ol' motor oil.

PXL_20210319_161752812.jpg

I use that same stuff, have for years. I use it like Jim too, putting it mainly on the cam lobes, motor oil everywhere else. It's not that expensive and a tube lasts for years, and it's specifically made for this job. Why reinvent the wheel? I feel the same way about fork oil. I don't see the point of sticking ATF, motor oil, or whatever else in my forks when there's an actual product for it.

We used it to build up aircraft engines. Hell, that's prolly 20 yrs old and still enough for 1 or 2 more engines. On the aircraft engines, we also put it on the main and rod bearings. They're plain bearings. It still lasts forever.

Back