sloppy floppy jockey

Ballsout

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
For those with jockey shift... have any of you modded something to help get the back and forth "flop" or of your shifter. currently im running a modded up 3/8th ext with a grip on top and the throw is looooong and there is a lot of slop when I ride. Was thinking about springs on either side of the shifter to help control things.

thoughts? See pic of set up below. Thanks

xs650.jpg

Hi Phil,
the shifter in your photo is two feet effin long, man; WTF did you expect it to feel like? Ain't no steenkin' springs gonna de-slop it neither.
What I'd do is to use a short horizontal shifter arm going forward on the gearshift spline, a tongue and fork joint onto a vertical tube, another tongue and fork joint onto a horizontal shift lever about 1/3rd along it's length that pivots at it's back end on a bracket welded to the tank and has the actual shifter grip at it's front end.
Engineer the joints nice and get the lengths right and you'll have the same amount of movement as you did on the original foot shifter.

I have built many and if you go long they do get sloppy. When you run shorter you don't have that play. The only thing you can do is make a lever setup in two pieces with a piviot point mount

Back