Sloppy front brake

jdm9123

78 xs650SE
Reaction score
Hello guys! My 78 special has had sloppy front brakes(I have a single disk) ever since I got her running. I felt it necessary to bleed the brake system and rebuild the front caliper as well as put in new pads. Well, I rebuilt the caliper which needed to be done so very badly. Put in new seals and pads, and then proceeded to bleed the system. She does not built up any pressure to save her life. I did eventually get some brakes but it just as bad as before. The rear brake works out okay but I use the front more than the rear. At this point should I buy the re-build kit for the master cylinder or just go ahead and buy a whole new master cylinder with the lever, switch housing and all? I just want good front brakes!

for what its worth, you may as well buy a new M/C and hose, then you'll KNOW you've got a good set up. Look in the tech section for help with bleeding, some good info there, cheers

Posted via Mobile

I use all stock components except for the brake line. That gets replaced with a one piece S.S. line. If the system's not leaking fluid anywhere, you usually don't need a rebuild kit. Just take everything apart (MC and caliper) and thoroughly clean it. I've done this to several bikes now and the brake works terrific. I recently changed to the most highly recommended aftermarket pads, the Ferodo Platinums and guess what, the stockers worked better.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with the stock components if they're in good shape and properly set up. Throwing a wad of cash at the problem in the form of a new MC may or may not help. My buddy did that to BOTH of his and neither works as well as my stocker. His lever feel on both is soft as shit but he's happy - he's got a brand new shiny MC to look at, lol.

I only use stock components too. They work perfectly fine. But that m/c can get really gunked up. Its a good practice to rebuild both the caliper and m/c. They share the same fluid and one can foul the other. Ive seen hunks of crap come out of the m/c.

Back