So I Have This '81...

realgoodtexan

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I rescued it from my dad's shop after Hurricane Ike smashed it to the ground. Tank is reasonable. Seat is not.

I want to build it from the ground up and with these bikes, I think I have to decide on ignition first. Ignition was the ONLY problem this bike EVER had.

What would you do? Seems like Pamco isn't what it used to be and XSCharge isn't always available with all the parts needed to convert this one.

I just want to get it done in one shot. I was planning on a complete rewire anyway.

Awaiting the sages.....thank you
20211228_153410.jpg

For $20ish bucks you can replace the stock ignition module with one from a GN250. It’s some minor wire swapping but otherwise a direct replacement. There’s a great thread on it somewhere on here. Way less costly than total replacement, even if you need new coils. Honda MP80 coils are a good replacement and they can also be had pretty cheap. Stock TCI is actually a pretty robust ignition.

Welcome aboard.
Lots of experts here to help.
Use the search tabs to find info needed, or just wait for the techies to answer.
Be sure to post lots of images of the build.
Cheers
Ads.

I don't trust the stock parts on this one. Are there reliable direct replacements? I've also heard that they are hit or miss. I just want to do it once and know it's good.
If it were my bike, I’d find out exactly what is wrong with the stock ignition and replace the bad parts. Test your coils, test your pickup. FYI, the ignition on these will not operate with anything less the 12vdc. A low battery is often mistaken for a bad ignition. Put a fresh fully charged batt in it see if you have spark first. The TCI’s are pretty tough units.

If it were my bike, I’d find out exactly what is wrong with the stock ignition and replace the bad parts. Test your coils, test your pickup. FYI, the ignition on these will not operate with anything less the 12vdc. A low battery is often mistaken for a bad ignition. Put a fresh fully charged batt in it see if you have spark first. The TCI’s are pretty tough units.
Just went for a new battery. Gonna start looking for spark tomorrow.

I rescued it from my dad's shop after Hurricane Ike smashed it to the ground. Tank is reasonable. Seat is not.
I want to build it from the ground up and with these bikes, I think I have to decide on ignition first. Ignition was the ONLY problem this bike EVER had.
What would you do? Seems like Pamco isn't what it used to be and XSCharge isn't always available with all the parts needed to convert this one.
I just want to get it done in one shot. I was planning on a complete rewire anyway.
Awaiting the sages.....thank youView attachment 203975

Hi Tex,
the original factory ignition system is better than anything else.
Restore it rather than swap in aftermarket stuff that's high on hype but won't work as good.
Any of the "snap-down" stock seats will fit on your '81's frame, pick the one that you like the look of.
If it was my bike I'd swap those stock handlebars for a 'bar with better ergonomics. (lower, flatter, straighter)
put the front fender back on as it's also a fork brace.
Drill the front brake disk full of holes, consider either swapping in a smaller piston front brake lever OR
adding the left-side front brake disk & caliper and swapping the stock fabric brake lines for stainless wire braided lines.

Welcome, realgoodtexen.

Do not make up your mind it is this or that that is a problem until you have done diagnostics. Use caution and ask on here, about what you have heard from others about problems with so and so or their products.

Yes a new battery, Or a known one that is good), and check for spark. If no spark it may not be the ignition, (TCI black box), it could be in your wiring or coil or your fuse box. The clips that hold the fuses loose their tension and eventually break, If the tension is lost this can also affect the ignition spark. Do no assume it is something with out testing, or you will find yourself down a rabbit hole.

I see a connection that has 3 red wires and a yellow one. The coupling and wires are not original Yamaha so there has been some modification so i ask myself what has been modified and what is it for.........This needs to be identified.

be cautions about doing everything at once. better to diagnose and get one thing at a time done before going on to the next. Changing more than one thing at a time you wont know what is the fix.

Your going to rewire but i would do a full continuity test on the bike as it is to find ot if the loom is compromised somewhere that could be the cause of a problem. If the loom tests good then you have the confidence to be able to isolate areas of concern and to pin point things.

Rotors on these bikes are almost always broken. Main problem with any charging issue. Again you will hear stories about the notorious XS650 charging deficiencies. 99.0% of the time a good rewound rotor, (Member Jim on here does a great rewind service), will get it up and running again. The other .9% of the time is the brushes have worn down. a simple replace will fix.

Get a manual.

You don't state your capabilities but with the thing on the other side of the bike it looks like you either handy so most of what i have said you will already know how to do. do some searches and use the "tech menu" instead of having to have to wait for, or while your waiting for some feed back. just about anything you ask has been asked and solved and applied sometime on here..............But we love to prove how smart we are and will answer any question, even if its about your mother inlaw

Depending on time and money and previous knowledge I think the general approach is to start slowly and develop over time.
Is it going to be a runner getting out there or a wrenching project ..perhaps to perfection. Is a bit different

There are other ignitions available I have used Boyer .. And it is working
But if this was me the way forward would be to service the wiring that is there .And use the ignition already there if possible .
A new ignition might not work that either without
that done . Rarely the wires ..More the connector and switches
Installing a new ignition is not so difficult but a new wiring loom is a big undertaking that can go wrong.

My guess is that work on the ignition has been done Yellow spark plug wires does not look Stock
So doing a check there and grinding greasing . measure actual voltage would be normal good practice.
On line there are Service manuals for checking the ignition status.

I would probably try to start it but gets a scolding here now and then for the risk . So doing a quick test in the float bowls is a minimum

Once you go Boyer you never go back!
That's probably true of the points model. My stock electronic ignition has been serving me for over 38 years. Yes, it failed here and there, but the fix was never difficult. Fortunately, I've never been left stranded in the middle of nowhere even though I've visited there often.

Back