So I want to do a fong bros style hardtail frame.......

If you want a performance bike with current technology, why waste your time on an XS650? Go out and buy a new yammie R1!

If you want to mod, tinker & build some thing that is not off the shelf and you love then go for it & please do share with other like minded people here. Some of us appreciate it.

NOW I AM OLD!!!!!!!!!!!!
but been building bikes since i was 14 yrs old in the 60's and i just could never leave any bike alone. Had to be bigger motor LONGER LOWER HIGH BARS LOW BARS BIG TIRE SMALL TIRE LOUD QUIET FAST SLOW BLACK SEAT TAN SEAT NO FENDER YES FENDER SISSYBAR NO BAR LIGHTS ROUND SQUARE
YOU just got to have fun and build whats in your head and be PROUD OF IT WHEN DONE STOCK CHOPPED BOBBER DRAG DIRT STREET.
KOP you need to get out more. I am 60 and live day by day because i am closer to the end then most and i worked all my life NOW ITS TIME TO HAVE FUN and PISS some people OFF with OUTRAGIOUS BUILDS.

Attachments

• 100_4150.jpg
    100_4150.jpg
    330.6 KB · Views: 203
  • 100_4004.jpg
    100_4004.jpg
    309.8 KB · Views: 205
  • 600quad.jpg
    600quad.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 227
  • 100_4335.jpg
    100_4335.jpg
    312.3 KB · Views: 240
  • cb1.jpg
    cb1.jpg
    327.6 KB · Views: 245
KOP
I don't know how old you are but in the 50's thats all there was until the swing arm came into play in the mid 50's. The 60's everyone wanted a chopped bike after the movies ran all the outlaw biker movies. After EASYRIDER all hell broke loose and all i chopped was HARLEY'S and CB 750 HONDAS (ALL HARD TAIL) The 70's started to change things and HONDA KAWASAKI came out with cool fast bikes and sold MANY. I was a HONDA DEALER THEN and couldn't keep them in the store. 80's we went to fast bikes CROTCH ROCKETS and everyone had them and nobody wanted a CHOPPED BIKE but a HARLEY GUY. I still built choppes but i was doing more high performance motor work than i ever did. Everyone wanted to go fast.90's and up TV went to everyones head and again it was cool to chop but TV killed it for a lot of small shops everyone thought you had to buy a $60,000 bike to be cool and the YUPS KILLED IT. So i have lived threw a lot of changes and if you just like SHOCK STOCKER thats cool a lot of people think its a crime to chop a XS 650 or any bike and time will tell. BUT GET ON ONE GIVE IT A TRY UNLESS YOU GOT ASS PROBLEM ITS A COOL RIDE.

Turned my first professional wrench in '72 . Grew up around rod and chop builders . I still have a lead pot ,pine paddles and tallow ...
Few remember what Duo Glide means
Pop , my complaint isn't the 'tail it's the cookie cutter sameness that bores me to tears .
It's seeing one after another peanut, 'stang , sports' tanked , weldonhardtailbywhoever , forward , mid controlled , evil , dangerous spool front , jury rigged drum rear , direct shifted ( I can't call it jockey) foot clutched ...ROLLING ATROCITIES !! that make me repeatedly and violently ill .
Okay , for balance . Fong Bros cream . I have looked at that build over and over again . That alone must say something .
Hugh's little black&white with the twisted crank . I along with the rest of the web not only got to see that work in progress but got a glimpse into the design process .
Matt in Indiana that replicated a softail for the xs (haven't heard from him in a while , too bad a fine sense of humor to go with his vision and talent)
Lang's Emma . it's all int the details .
Martin Bros out of Texas (a custom frame) A candy apple red and flame job that's a little busy for my taste but more original than 80% of the masses .
Jeremy's "chicken salad " for it's unique originality .
This list gets longer the more I think of it . So when you hear me go off on the mee too sawzall crowd that's exactly who and specifically who I'm directing my comments at . I'm not having a fit every time I hear a sawzall fire up I'm attempting to instill a bit of patience in design , care in execution and pride in ownership . Our pool of original rolling stock diminishes every day . All I promote is instead of the mee too is a new builder thinking feeling breathing I , me , me , mine , my originality , my hands , my thoughts , my dreams , my vision ,
Pop I traveled some of the same roads . A rigid mag fired 'CH shovester and dual SU's to name one .
An ET'd 441 rigid roadster w/ a plunger sea from a knuk .
Neither of those two were right from the get go and went through a drawer full of mods before I was happy . Odd thing was that by the time I was happy people started to look and talk and eventually a few honest compliments . I don't build my bikes for anyone else and don't expect others to . I just don't want our non renewable resource to start appearing one after another as half built , wretched , rolling , wrecks waiting to fall apart at the next stop light in the name of being just like ...
Okay Pop you can have the soap box back
WTF was the question anyway ? :)

~kop

Last edited:
Wow you guys are tough, thought i was gonna learn something about a fong bros. frame. I dont think he had to modify the tail too much it looks like whole stock tc tail, maybe where the stock rear set bars meet the hardtail . I havnt seen a frame stripped down yet but i will in a couple days when i get my donor. I am gonna do one like that for client he requested it to be fonged. I am excited to work on something totally differnt Im sure this board will be a wealth of info, Loffer.

Its Niagara Falls , slowly I turned.......

Received my TC hardtail, & have my 2nd hand frisco sportster tank - dents & all, has been stripped bare & has a coat of clear. (Sick bag is located in the seat in front of you Kop)
This is my first custom build, after building several "correct" vintage motox bikes & a few road bikes as well, I have found it refresing & liberating to do what the hell I want with my build, it may not be in the end as original as some of the custom builds but thems the breaks.
With our ever dwindling resource, I take great pride in the fact I can ressurect the shitbox xs650 that I purchased from a dishonest old wanker, any other person in their right mind would have taken it to the tip & been done with it.
I wonder what can honestly be done with the xs650 & still be called original..?? Since they are so widely chopperised/bobbed/tracked, what else is left in the name of originality.......??? only different colours combos of whats been done before...

Park it on the beach and let the salt water corrode it for a few months. Then you'll have a Fong Bros. frame look.

Might have had you confused with somebody else. Wait, no I didn't.

Some people like rat bikes, some want a steam punk look, what ever floats your boat man!

Let people make what they feel is right for them………so what if you think it looks like shit it ain't you riding it!

Stumbled into this ole' thread like a drunken sailor looking for rum.
Six years later, how did the bike end up looking 'hotdog'!?

I noticed some rust pimples on my front fender and I had another one that I got as part of a deal so I put it on and I just left the other out in the rain and it has turned to rot. Anybody who wants it can have it for $500.

Stumbled into this ole' thread like a drunken sailor looking for rum.
Six years later, how did the bike end up looking 'hotdog'!?

It was good fun while it lasted......listen to the old timers and me....don't hardtail your bike unless you have super smooth asphalt where you live. The bike is currently being converted back to a sprung frame setup (which seems to be taking years).
IMG_20140604_121543.jpg

With where the frame was chopped, and the pivot still there it's the perfect time to do a different tail. I chopped about the same places on my tracker project.

Attachments

• tmp_28431-20170916_1757371765570702.jpg
    tmp_28431-20170916_1757371765570702.jpg
    182.1 KB · Views: 110
That looks great! Like the 2-1 exhaust with a muffler. Open pipes look great but gets annoyingly loud...

The harsh ride doesn't sound promising for my own ideas... the streets here (Seattle WA) is rivaling Beirut… But like the pipe look, a hardtail looks super clean and back to basics which I think a motorcycle should be. Besides the stock swingarm on the XS’s are really ugly!

Guess I have to take a thinker and maybe just try it out.

I know Beirut and I live in Seattle . If you mean craters that could swallow a small car , well then yeah a few.
If you more accurately mean day to day ugly pavement , I'm with you.
You may want to compare with our Michigan / Detroit friends and toll roads that look like half destroyed mine fields .
I'm more concerned about the drivers here . Over all we don't rate so bad but the the difference is the worst drivers are so bad that I have to state I have not seen worse in 28 states and 14 countries .

Last edited:
I know Beirut and I live in Seattle . If you mean craters that could swallow a small car , well then yeah a few.
If you more accurately mean day to day ugly pavement , I'm with you.
You may want to compare with our Michigan / Detroit friends and toll roads that look like half destroyed mine fields .
I'm more concerned about the drivers here . Over all we don't rate so bad but the the difference is the worst drivers are so bad that I have to state I have not seen worse in 28 states and 14 countries .

The drivers DO suck here!
Heard horror stories about Detroit and Chicago roads fro some friends here that came from those cities.
Gonna build a bike this winter and love the hardtail look and simplicity but hear more and more that beat you to death riding them... The suspended ones never look right and the 'Brat'/Cafe' look are getting to hipster and you (kopcicle) know how they are here in Seattle...

Back