Soda Blasting

Wow. Thats simple. Looks like it works well. Im going to try it on an old set of carbs or cylinder. Keep it simple i guess works best sometimes. Been busy at work, but have found sometime to keep buliding my bike. The frame is almost ready to be powdercoated. Next rebuild my engine.

Has anyone tried any of the relatively cheap soda blasters from HF? Tempted to try one one a dirty engine I dont have the time to rebuild just now. Also, has anyone had any experience with soda blasting a frame?

I've got the HF 40# soda blaster it works quite well to get things cleaned up, also does a nice job of removing paint. I think they are on sale now too. I do think it is important that you use the right soda, which they also sell, I think about $25-$30 for a 50#bag.

Thanks for the info. Man am I glad I signed up on XS650.com. Incredible what one can gain from the experiences of those who went before

I did the same "aircooledtech" soda blaster, and was quite pleased at how well it worked. Cleaned up my filthy carbs like they were new again. Not bad at all for a few cheap materials. The worst part is that the soda gets everywhere, including you. On the plus side, a shower after soda blasting makes for a nice exfoliating session, and leaves your skin feeling cleansed and refreshed! ;-)

Baking Soda is actually a pretty good "natural" cleaner. Hippies use it as a replacement for shampoo and soap, more commonly as deoderant or tooth paste.

I recently unclogged a very clogged sink drain with a box of baking soda.

It does a pretty good job on cleaning up the engine as well.

I personally could care less about aluminum stains, I just like having a clean engine when working on it.

Check out this thread: http://www.smecca.com/2011/02/how-to-build-a-homemade-sandblasting-cabinet/
You can modify the dimensions to suit your needs. I'm working on plans to build my own, and will post the results. You can use whatever media you choose (sand, coal slag, glass bead, aluminum oxide, soda, ground walnut shells, etc.). There's not much difference in the tools used, but a cabinet will make life easier, since you don't have the mess all over the place. And with some of the media, you can collect and reuse it!

Posted via Mobile

I've been amazed with how hard it is to get rid of the residue.
I've done a couple of carbs and knocked the grime and varnish off a clutch cover.
Rinsed the cover several times and the oil still frothed.
The carbs the same, rinsed with water several times to find white residue when it dryed.
And it is still gritty between my fingers.
It is a super easy cheap way to clean though.

Besides the hard to clean factor, like bead blasting, what gets left behind can be frustrating.

With bead blasting, if you don't get the stuff cleaned out you risk engine damage later.

With soda blasting, I'm reading that paint doesn't adhere properly afterwards. Anyone experience this problem?

That's my experience. My engine now has the easiest to chip coat of paint on it ever and I will be 're blasting that junk off.

Prepping to blast my engine once I get a decent compressor. How did you guys handle the prep work?

I have the top end all dismantled and hoping to leave the bottom in tact. I removed the side cases, clutch, and starter. Head and jugs I can put together and build a plywood template for the ends where the gasket goes...but how should prevent soda from getting into the bottom end? Should I tape up all of the side covers and put back on or plywood templates?

-Brent

Back