Solar Eclipse

bosco659

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
I’d imagine most here will be viewing the solar eclipse next week. I asked a friend if he will be viewing it and he commented maybe next time, to which I replied, not unless you know something I don’t know. lol.

Looks like we will have a premium viewing spot here in southern Ontario. We’re staying put but I understand droves of people will be travelling to nearby Niagara Falls where the view will be exceptional. They are expecting over a million people to descend upon the small city. A state of emergency had been called for the city, because of the anticipated crowds and resulting chaos. It will be a money maker for the city for a day or so. Local hotels who normally charged $100 / night have listed available rooms at $1000 - $1500 per night!

I’ll leave photography and vids to the experts. We have our throw away viewing glasses. Make sure you wear eye protection. I understand welding helmets aren’t necessarily safe unless they have a shade 14 fixed lens, but if you plan on using one, please research first.

Happy Viewing!

99.56% expected at aunt Dot's place in Mississauga.
Just looked up our town and we are supposed to be 99.95 - 100%. Can’t get much better than that and all in the comfort of your own home and yard👍

IMG_4300.png

IMG_6807.jpeg

“Shadow Bands” & “Shimmering Lights” are both a phenomenal and very memorable sight to witness.
The 2017 Eclipse with the 100% totality passed over Central Oregon to where I rode a Dual Sport BMW solo to a very open and remote destination (Indian Reservation Land).
Surrounded by miles of open sage brush (not people) and the Cascade mountain range to the west, I was able experience the winds changing as if a storm was suddenly approaching, the temperature drop, the stars appearing in the clear skies as if the sun had set, And the amazement of Shadow Bands of seemingly light bending on the sage brush for only a few moments.
To me this was a very rare emotional and spiritual event and not a social event. It is a brief few moments in time to not be disturbed if you can avoid that.
I would encourage anybody who is able to get as remote as possible on foot if you have to in attempt to witness more than just the halo of light around the sun .
Good Luck ! I will not be able to see this event

Port Credit maybe 99.7?
Could be. Port Credit is about 15 minutes east of us. Regardless of the % I think it’s worth viewing. Wonder how many people will experience damage to their vision, watching without protective eyewear.

The last go-round had us at roughly 3/4 covered. What fascinated me more than looking at the sun was the hundreds of 3/4 eclipse replicas scattered all across the ground from the sunlight filtering through the trees. Riddle me that, Batman.
I understand the concept, similar to observing sunspots on an outside door by holding a sheet of paper with a pinhole in it with the sun shining onto the paper and the suns image now streaming through the pinhole on to the door and actually seeing the spots in the suns image, tru dat yo!
"What did you do at work today Dad?"
"Looked at sunspots....."
In regards to the thousands swarming to any one location? Hope they got enough hooters.....(re-enactor slang for port-a-let's), I'll pass.

The last go-round had us at roughly 3/4 covered. What fascinated me more than looking at the sun was the hundreds of 3/4 eclipse replicas scattered all across the ground from the sunlight filtering through the trees. Riddle me that, Batman.
I understand the concept, similar to observing sunspots on an outside door by holding a sheet of paper with a pinhole in it with the sun shining onto the paper and the suns image now streaming through the pinhole on to the door and actually seeing the spots in the suns image, tru dat yo!
"What did you do at work today Dad?"
"Looked at sunspots....."
In regards to the thousands swarming to any one location? Hope they got enough hooters.....(re-enactor slang for port-a-let's), I'll pass.
Never thought of that - 1M extra people and if they don’t bring in an army of $hitters, it’s not going to be very nice. I’m avoiding the highway that day too. In Southern Ontario, there’s one main Highway to and from the Falls. Even on a normal weekend it’s brutal. The border will be crazy too. Memo to self -STAY AT HOME!

Will be looking near Cairo, if the sky's clear....
forecast on 04/04 looks "good" but that's still 5 days away.
1712273052938.png

will have my Miller auto darkening and a separate big 13ish tint glass welding lens.
Checked with the auto dark the other day "it'll be fine."
https://waterwelders.com/welding-helmet-to-view-eclipse/
Just heading towards Cairo from Mayfield KY on a "rural road" hoping it won't be "that" crowded out in the sticks.
1712273527172.png

Enjoy guys I managed to make the last one with friends at a great small campground where they didn't rape and rob you and they actually had free BBQ for 2 days in a row etc.
It was only a few minutes for us but WOW how cool does that get

I found a place in Mayfield with free room n board AND USE OF TOOLS for five days!
wisco group.jpg3712.jpeg
Been there before. You'd think it would be a good week to lose some weight,
but they got REAL good cooks.

Last edited:
At a car club meeting last night we were discussing the solar eclipse and some of the craziness associated with the say. Highway signs have warnings that the eclipse will take place on Monday and to exercise extreme caution. Apparently hotels are cancelling previous reservations that were made at the lower price so the rooms can be rented out for 10X the reserved amount - not sure if this is true but if it is 🤬. Schools are being closed so the kids won’t go out and look at the sun. Teachers stay home because there aren’t any kids. Nobody to take care of the kids so a parent stays home and the list goes on.

The forecast doesn’t look promising so maybe we would be able to see anything but several minutes of darkness?

Back