Some wiring help please

strang

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I am rewiring from scratch and here is the diagram I'm following to start with:

DIAGRAM 1
forforum.png

The only thing different is I'm not using the key - I'm trying to substitute just a switch to turn on the ignition.
Here is the switch I installed today:
http://www.cricklewoodelectronics.com/Cricklewood/product.php?productid=19534&cat=0&page=1
I have wired up the accessories side of things and without the switch I have the rear lights and switches working, as well as the front headlight and the horn.
However when the igniton switch is put into the mix I get some weird results - is it the switch itself? Is this switch ok to use? I bought it from a shop and the guy said it was the closest they had to my application. It's 3 prong - how exactly should I wire it? I've tried quite a few combinations and don't get what I should (sometimes brake light stays on all the time, sometimes no front lights, sometimes switch itself lights up).
Also I would like to split the wiring around the key so I don't have 2 wires going into 1 as in the first diagram. Is this wiring around the switch ok?:

DIAGRAM 2
wiring-trythis2.png

The multiple wire colour changes are because of aftermarket lights etc.

Last edited:
Is that switch a 3 position switch or just two? If it's just a two position you would typically hook your hot 12V to the center terminal and what ever you want to power to either of the outside terminals. When you flip the switch one way you get continunity between the center and one terminal, flip it the other way and you get continunity between the center and the other terminal. You would probably just use one side of the switch (center and one outside terminal).
This would be a simple on/off switch. If the switch has three positions then the center position would be off.

thanks grinder - I wired it for 2 position with the larger one in the centre being hot and one side onwards to the fuse box and other to nothing.
Got some strange results.

That sounds like you have it wired right. Does the switch pause in the middle or does it just rock back and forth. I should say does it have a neutral position not all the way one way or the other. Some rocker switches have a center off position. What happens if you go directly to the fuse box with 12V without the switch?

Last edited:
The link you posted shows a lighted switch; one of the three terminals may be specific to the light inside the switch itself; some lighted switches require a separate ground, and some require a separate feed to the light.

I also used a simple switch in place of a key; I used the beefiest SPST metal toggle I could find with a safety cover. Bulletproof, like so:

3856_1517_large.jpg

Agreed, a simple toggle is a better way to go. I'm also "keyless" but I'm using my kill switch and a relay in my setup along with a ignition specific hidden toggle.

thanks - i'll try grounding one pole.
is it ok to split the wiring on the diagram from the key/PMA?

Hello Sir, the switch that you are using has three terminals.
lets say terminals A,B,C terminal A is battery terminal B is switched power and terminal C is ground for your light in the switch so the lamp is lit when the bike is on.

Use a multi meter on ohms auto ranging, when the switch is removed from the bike and ON check the ohms between terminals A-B, A-C, B-C. you should find 0-.3 ohms between one set of terminals and over 100ohms on two sets of terminals.

now put the switch in the OFF possision and check ohms again you will find OL (out of limits) or infinity on one set of terminals, this is your power switch.
on the other set of terminals you will find over 100 ohms that is your light part of the switch.

lets sayA-B has OL or infinite ohms and B-C has over 100 ohms and terminals A-C has infinite or OL ohms.
terminal A is battery, terminal B is switched power and C is ground for the lamp.

Now that I have typed all of this look closely at your switch, look for +,b, bat,12v on or near one terminal and gnd,-,g,or ground symbol near another terminal these are commonly used markings on switches. the last terminal is your switched power sw

I hope this helps

Last edited:
I'm trying to understand everything as I go so this is real helpful.
I'm confused about what the 20amp fuse is supposed to be protecting? Is it protecting the battery from the PMA charge? The PMA from the battery? or (my newbie guess) the fuse box from the battery?

Hello again, your wire around the switch needs a fuse. The fuse is protection, just incase the reg/rec shorts to ground. Put a 20 amp fuse in line and you are covered.
Hope this helps

so is my second diagram ok or wrong? (substituting switch for key)
also what miniumum amp switch is ok? 20a?

The fuse protects the Battery from the PMA REG/REC if it should short ground or PMA
Hope this helps

all you are doing is moving the PMA battery wire from the switch to the fuse in the first diagram

Or You need to add one a 20 amp fuse to the reg/rec battery wire in the second diagram then it will be good.

sorry I'm confused. If the fuse is the to protect the PMA and the fuse need to be inbetween the PMA and the battery - diagram 3 should be ok no? Does the fuse have to be connected to the key/switch in any way?

in the modified pic I posted it shows the pma reg/rec and key going to the 20a fuse. This is known as the main fuse or battery fuse it protects the entire electrical system from over current from the battery. Its mainly to protect the battery from the reg/rec if it shorts out as well as the switch being it is between the battery and the fuse box. So yes the switch needs to connect to the fuse.

Riksoto

ok thanks riksoto, sorry for dumb questions, just really want to understand as I go so less dumb questions in future. well maybe :wink2:

No problem, I just like to help where I can!
Remember the old adage "The only stupid ?s are the ones we don't ask" the Well ones we dont ask can get expensive fast.
Riksoto

I'm looking to re-wire mine this winter and having done it once was never sure of what gauge of wire to use for each circuit. Probably went too heavy.

Now that I have Hugh's PMA, it's time to improve my first attempts at wiring.

What do must suggest for wire gauge?

Back