Somewhat off-the-wall question: Source for sheet metal?

Downeaster

Everything in XS
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I'd like to get my mitts on some 28 guage (or even better, 30 gauge) mill finish tin. At least 12" wide, a roll would work, 12x24 or anything up to say 4x4 or whatever sheets would work.

I've checked all the usual suspects, Deep Homo (maybe, if you're lucky, and their inventory is accurate, but probably 22 gauge), Blowes (see comments about Deep Homo), McMaster-Carr, Feebay (possible, but shipping/availability/size is variable), Amazon, etc.

Needs to be easily bendable hence the gauge requirements, and solderable so galvanized is out, as is aluminum.

Brass or copper would be okay for small projects but wicked spendy for anything of size.

Sorry cant help with a source but you can solder galvanised metal. This may expand your options. In NZ a lot of the larger plumbing firms carry thin gauge galv sheet for making flashings.

I found out that galvy CAN be soldered, just takes some extra steps.

28 gauge galvy is available here too. Might have to go that way and deal with the soldering issues.

Still 'druther have the clean stuff.

To experiment one gallon paint thinner cans,are nice thin sheet metal. Can be neatly cut with straight edge n utility knife

To experiment one gallon paint thinner cans,are nice thin sheet metal. Can be neatly cut with straight edge n utility knife

Yup, done some of that. A square gallon can that had bulk WD-40 in it works well. Just a pain in the ass to disassemble and flatten for reuse. Plus I have a couple of projects in mind where the lithography on one side is undesirable, artsy-craftsy people to the contrary.

Couple of things I want to do with it.

One is build my own custom-sized electronic enclosures a) because I can and b) because I'm cheap.

truck1.jpg

Another is building models and farm toys. MUCH cheaper than brass and perfectly adequate in some cases. I want to build a cross-bed toolbox for this toy truck and the steel finish will be perfect once polished a bit.

Finished up the cross-bed toolbox for the Tonka truck. Didn't polish up as well as I had hoped, but that's more due to laziness on my part than anything. Maybe I'll send it to The MailMan for a professional shine...

That is SO cool, D.e.! Haha, you could flatten the end of the right size common nail, and use it from the inside of the lid to emboss a faux "diamond plate"!

Downeaster you have great imagination, skill and patience.
Those look really good and must have been so fiddly to make.

Downeaster you have great imagination, skill and patience.
Those look really good and must have been so fiddly to make.

First, Thank You for the compliments.

Like most things, there are a couple of "secrets". Having the proper tools is very important. A Whitney punch for punching holes, a butane micro torch for soldering, a mini chop saw for cutting, an assortment of tweezers, hemostats, alligator clips and vises to hold things in position, etc.

The big "secret" is to remember that it's supposed to be fun! Some of it is VERY fiddly and if you're not in the mood for it can be extremely frustrating. The loader on the tractor was a real challenge. I worked on it in spurts for a couple of years, walking away when the urge to stomp it flat got too strong.

I've been on a tear lately, highly unusual for me. Patience is NOT one of my virtues.

If you care (and I won't be hurt if you don't, this IS a motorcycle forum after all...) here are links to a couple other things I've built:

Attachments for a toy tractor

A snowplow for the truck

wow they are amazingly detailed DE You sure have some prodigious skill and patience.
It really is such a pity that real hand built craftsmanship toys like this are not available to kids anymore to inspire them. Its all plastic 'build-by-number' these days . Where is the imagination and understanding in that ?

Meccano had a massive influence on me as a child Designing and constructing things as a child inspired me and set me on a path of discovery that will last until my dying day. Once the door has been opened into an enquiring mind it can never be closed, that initial spark of intelligence illuminates ones whole life and what an extraordinary journey it has been !

I'm in hog heaven now with my own "shop" and decent tools.

When I was a kid I came up with all sorts of plans to build stuff but didn't have the resources, tools or materials to do it. Imagination had to fill in where reality fell short. Probably why I have a basement and a garage full of every tool I ever lusted after. Within reasonable limits, I can build about anything I can imagine.

Hey DE---There is a franchise not to far called "Metal Supermarket". They carry just about everything and will cut , bend, roll whatever you want. The local phone is 781-933-0176 give them a call and see if there are any in the Great State of Maine. Good luck
tim

Back