Spark but no Start

sou1f1y33

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I setup my new Pamco and ultimate coil over the weekend and thought I was good to go. I had the bike started shortly after the install but did not fire up right away. Before the install it would take numerous tries to get it started and it would run for a bit but seem bogged down when throttling up and finally die out. I did the no start spark test last night that Pete suggests and I have good spark but could not get it started. Here is my process of thought on the issue so please let me know what you think.

First, try to adjust the timing enough to get it to fire over and run. Then set the timing if I can get it started.

If the bike still does not start, pull the carbs, inspect and clean.

Does anyone have any other suggestions and possibly an order I should go in to troubleshoot?

Thanks,
Brad

sou...,

Here is a pic showing the initial setting for the PAMCO plate to get the engine running so you can then use a timing light to set the timing more accurately.

pcboard11.jpg

You should also adjust your timing chain first as a loose timing chain can throw off the ignition timing.

I setup my new Pamco and ultimate coil over the weekend and thought I was good to go. I had the bike started shortly after the install but did not fire up right away. Before the install it would take numerous tries to get it started and it would run for a bit but seem bogged down when throttling up and finally die out. I did the no start spark test last night that Pete suggests and I have good spark but could not get it started. Here is my process of thought on the issue so please let me know what you think.

First, try to adjust the timing enough to get it to fire over and run. Then set the timing if I can get it started.

If the bike still does not start, pull the carbs, inspect and clean.

Does anyone have any other suggestions and possibly an order I should go in to troubleshoot?

Thanks,
Brad

Hard starting.....................my first thought is the choke circuit is not working. You need that extra rich mixture to start a cold engine. The small choke jet that is in the bottom of the float bowl should be looked at to make sure it is clear.

Attachments

• Float Bowl mod1.JPG
    Float Bowl mod1.JPG
    231.6 KB · Views: 56
Back