Speedo access to bulb

pdedse

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a stock '83 with a speedo bulb burnt out that I'm trying to replace. I've removed the speedo itself, but how does one access the bulb? The speedo unit and face plate don't seem to budge and I don't see any screws that are holding the unit together. Maybe something simple I'm not seeing?

First pic: Undo the 10mm nuts to remove the gauge from the bracket. Undo the 8mm nuts to remove the chrome cover from the gauge. There are rubber dampers on the 8mm bolts.

The rubber damper is sitting with the lip of the chrome cup against it so it has to be levered from around the chrome cup to remove without damage..........Lip od the cup can be seen in pic #2

Once the chrome cup is removed the gauge and warning lights are in the back of the plastic gauge cover. They may be dry so some lube and a bit of wriggling around will help to loosen them

Attachments

• P1000289.jpg
    P1000289.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 316
  • P1000291.jpg
    P1000291.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 282
  • P1000295.jpg
    P1000295.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 287
  • Photo117.jpg
    Photo117.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 281
  • Photo111.jpg
    Photo111.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 322
Last edited:
Once the chrome cup is removed the gauge and warning lights are in the back of the plastic gauge cover. They may be dry so some lube and a bit of wriggling around will help to loosen them

I've removed the chrome cup from the plastic gauge cover as you described w/out difficulty, what I'm having problems with is accessing the plastic gauge cover. Just removing the speedo taking off the 10mm and 8mm bolts doesn't gain me access to the speedo bulb. The face of the speedo and the plastic gauge cover do not seem to separate--should they to access the bulb? If they don't separate then I don't see how the bulb can be accessed. Not sure if that makes sense.

The bulb is in one of those rubber holders that plugs into the back of the plastic housing. See Skull's last pic. You just pull the rubber holder out of the plastic housing to change the bulb. The bulb socket and bulb are in the rubber holder and come out with it.

Added another pic for more clarity on the gauge light holder.

Same as your White plastic coves except your Speedo Has a single Gauge Light and the rev counter has 2 Gauge lights. Gauge light and High-beam light

The bulb is in one of those rubber holders that plugs into the back of the plastic housing. See Skull's last pic. You just pull the rubber holder out of the plastic housing to change the bulb. The bulb socket and bulb are in the rubber holder and come out with it.

OK, I see that now. I looked right past the rubber holder that you refer because I had it my mind that the speedo face had to separate some how from the housing...what's that they say about assumptions? I needed the obvious pointed out to me.

First pic: Undo the 10mm nuts to remove the gauge from the bracket. Undo the 8mm nuts to remove the chrome cover from the gauge. There are rubber dampers on the 8mm bolts.

The rubber damper is sitting with the lip of the chrome cup against it so it has to be levered from around the chrome cup to remove without damage..........

Thanks so much for the pics, they help a lot. Question on those rubber dampers...they are for the 8mm bolts and not for the 10mm? When I pulled the speedo off, I could have sworn that the rubber dampers came from the lower (to the ground) positioned bolts, which on my '83 are the 10mm. But then one fell down into the depths of the cables and distracted me from the task. I found it, but then I was less sure which bolts the dampers went with.

Got the new bulb in, checked it to make sure it lit before putting it all back together, used the photos and tips posted here, so thanks for all your feedback!

Back