Speedo rubber gasket removal/reassemble

Jeffodman

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Wondering if the knobby part of the speedo comes off so the gasket can be slipped off in one piece? I pulled the metal housing off the gauges to clean inside and the rubber seals are dissolved and totally shot. Fortunately I have some spares. Does that knobby dial part come off or are you meant to stretch the rubber hole over the dial?

IMG-20161102-WA0000.jpeg

With soap, or light grease, I've had no trouble stretching the gasket over the knob. I've done this 3 times to replace the black buckets with the chrome buckets. I would like 2 more gaskets for my spare gauges, if anyone has a stack of em. Thx, RT

With soap, or light grease, I've had no trouble stretching the gasket over the knob. I've done this 3 times to replace the black buckets with the chrome buckets. I would like 2 more gaskets for my spare gauges, if anyone has a stack of em. Thx, RT
Thanks for the tip. I think I've only got the 2 extra which came off my parts bike. But I'll double check the box of speedo parts I have. If I've got any more I'll give em to you next time I'm in Portland.

Nice ! Not too many XS's here in Ptld. Tho I've figured out many were stripped and raced flat track up at Castle Rock... Could have something to do with it.

Back