spittin n spudderin

I am Carbon

shade tree mechanic
Reaction score
well to start I have 80SG seems to be all stock. I just cleaned the carbs and addjusted and synced them. And it Idles and runs good so I took it for the first ride today and the bike ran very well for about four miles then it started to spit and spudder and loose power. The plugs didn't knock like it was hot. I don,t think it was hot. Any way I pulled of the road and sat for about 3 minutes I started It up and drove it back home. And the same thing happened just before I got home spittin and spudderin in four miles . So I'm back in the garage and I'm thinkin maybe something is getting hot in the electrical system and faultering. Oh by the way when I checked the temp on the jugs after 1 1/2 munutes after I got in garage the temps were 256degF right jug and 255degF left jug I know that the temp will rise after shutting down the engine But I don't know if that is to much of a rise in temp so it may be hot:shrug: What do you think I should check first. any help will be good and thanks ,Ed

Fuel problems is my guess a clogged petcock filter or jets. open your float bowl drains run the gas into a container see what you see. A plugged gas tank vent is also possible but I'd bet on crap in your carbs.

Also, check the coils. The stock coils are notoriously poor in a best case scenario, and they may be heating up and failing. I'd begin there and consider more robust replacements.

TC

If you still have those original stock glass fuse type fuse holders, they can cause problems. Replace with blade type fuse holders.
I guess that has been done blades are there and i have a fine paper fuel filter and i am goin to pull the carbs and look inside thats easy to do this bike has been sitting for years so i expected problems:)

Last edited:
Fuel problems is my guess a clogged petcock filter or jets. open your float bowl drains run the gas into a container see what you see. A plugged gas tank vent is also possible but I'd bet on crap in your carbs.

This place is great! well i started off with. the easyest thing first. and that was check the tank vent and it was for sure not venting so I fixed that and took the bike for a rideand drove around for 20 minutes and no spitting or spuddering.:D So thanks very much gggGary!:cheers: :bike::bike:

Back