Spray guns? Anyone know of a good

Mitchell_p

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
type of spray gun for a beginner that thinks he will want to get serious with it later.
I am on Holiday in the US and i thought i might try and pick up a decent gun here before i go just because theyre abit cheaper than back home.

I looked on the Home depot website for Canada cause im in Calgary this week, next week im in NYC but ill make an effort to get out of the city if there are any specialty stores.
They have a " Campbell Hausfeld " gravity feed gun for $79, never heard of the brand so i've got no idea if this is decent.

I have researched about the CFM ratings and all that so i sort of know whats going on there. I just noticed that it's made in China and i didnt want to end up with a dud.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? Cheers.

A beginner and serious gun are 2 different things, but many good companies make decent entry and mid level guns. The hardware store guns are all going to be very cheaply made models, but actually work ok for a beginner. some decent brands are sharpe, finex, devilbiss, sata, iwata, binks. Whatever you end up with, just practice your technique and you will be fine. Make sure to wear a respirator at all times.

Iwata has the air gunsa line that's a good entry level spray gun. Any thing sata will be $$$ Devilbiss finishline are descent guns too. Whatever you do stay away from the cheap harbor freight guns they don't last

I shoot with a snap-on EXCALIBER and I also own a cheap Husky (home depot) gun that i paid like 60 bucks for. I single staged my frame this weekend with the husky and it sprays about as good as a begginer should expect!!! Meaning it sprays great!!!

Posted via Mobile

Attachments

• painted frame7.bmp
    99.9 KB · Views: 174
I had a husky gun once it came with a bunch of air tools for $100. First time I put it in thinner to clean it all the paint melted off the gun and the seals fell apart. it went to the trash. I spray with a Iwata lph400 and w400 at work but I wouldn't recommend a beginner to go out and but a $500+ spray gun

The black thin painted husky is a piece of crap I agree. The one I have was bought by itself and shoots good for me. It sprays a ole' cheap single stage from napa great. Pattern adjust well and atomizes great "for the price".

Posted via Mobile

hi i,ve purchased 2-3 over the last few years,,, 1 gun came from supercheap with a 21 litre compressor.. and it was cheap,, easy to use,, simple to clean,,, 1 day it exploded,,, there went the gun,,, then i went to the tool shop at bunnings,,, and i purchased a sweet gun that held a litre of paint and 3-4 adjustments ,,, produces a nice finish,, also recently i picked up another cheap gun for $10 at a garage sale still in plastic and its box,,and thats good for low pressure spraying .. regards oldbiker

I am a collision painter for a living and I love my satas through and through,,but PetesPonies has it spot on. The Finishline is a great beginner gun as well as a decent gun especially for the price..IMHO

Sata all the way. Second is Iwata. I really like the iwata for clear tho...

Posted via Mobile

Another vote for Sata but they are pricey. Before I had one I used a Devilbliss Finishline and got pretty good results.

Believe it or not I have found some pretty good deals on used guns at the pawn shop. I picked up a used Binks gun for $20 years ago that I still use as a primer gun.

Make sure to wear a respirator at all times.

One summer I worked with a guy who'd worked as a painter and didn't use a respirator. It didn't take any time at all for him to paint the inside of his lungs. He was on disability and from the way he walked everybody thought he'd had his back broken and fused back together. What little safety equipment there was in industry back in those days wasn't taken seriously.

A great gun is an Astro Pneumatic Low volumn low pressure gun...you can use this with a smaller compressor than what you will need with a standard HVLP, which can drain a small compressor pretty quick. I shot single stage and base/clear coat with this gun and it shoots everything well.....I use a cheap HF HVLP for my primers or use an old style siphon gun..
Tom

A great gun is an Astro Pneumatic Low volumn low pressure gun...you can use this with a smaller compressor than what you will need with a standard HVLP, which can drain a small compressor pretty quick. I shot single stage and base/clear coat with this gun and it shoots everything well.....I use a cheap HF HVLP for my primers or use an old style siphon gun..
Tom

Yeah, thats what im not sure about just yet. I haven't bought a compressor yet cause i wanted to match the compressor i buy to what the gun needs but the bigger the compressor usually the more $$. Not sure if i should get a low volume low pressure gun so i can do this or what. Obviously i am a total beginner so im not to sure which way to go. The finishline gun sounds alright. Looks like i can get one online for about $116. Im happy with that. I just hope the hose fittings are the same in australia and not different sizes etc.

I've done quite a bit of spraying with expensive and cheap guns. Do yourself a favor and buy a gravity feed. Siphon are much more sensitive, where a gravity will blow till your out of material. I have used Husky and they work well enough for an entry level. The one I bought had a white cup and an unpainted aluminum body, $70 range. Gravity will perform better at
lower air pressure, which makes a big difference if you can't afford a bigger compressor. Don't leave material in it overnight either, the solids will settle in the gun. Good luck

Last edited:
Back