SputterIng off and on

Hey Guys, I recently started having a sputtering problem just like Ccrider said;(like there's no gas and all of a sudden you have gas again)?? No backfires and good looking plugs.

I have a completely stock 82 xs650. Just had the carbs rebuilt. I put them on and the bike ran fine for 250 miles. I didn't touch the carbs other than turning up the idle after having about 50 miles on the bike.

The tank was cleaned but I don't yet have a inline filter. I'm fixin to put in an order to Mikes soon. Should I be picking up his jet kit as well as the filter?

Where do I start?

PS it's been hot as heck here lately. Could that effect the bike that much?

Hey Guys, I have a sputtering problem just like Ccrider said;(like there's no gas and all of a sudden you have gas again)?? No backfires and good looking plugs.

have an 82 xs650 that just had the carbs sent out for rebuild. I made not adjustment to the carbs except the idle and the bike ran well for about 250 miles. All of the sudden the sputtering, first only at high speed and now at low, and on and off, not constant.

I cleaned the tank but have not run a filter yet. I was fixin to put in an order to mikes soon. Should I be getting the jet kit along with the filter?

Where should I start?

PS It's been hot as heck here lately. Would the temperature have that much of an effect on the bike?

Thanks

Yep - better without filters. The K&N's do have the chrome end cap. The uni's I have seen on ebay have a chrome end cap, unless there is more than type? Where do you find them ( other than bay) ?
Thanks

check for fuel flow problems too. This almost sounds like it could be blocked fuel filter / petcocks/ or some other delivery issue.

I wouldn't get the chrome end cap UNIs, they're small (short). I use their standard black foam road pod. For your 38s, you want the UP4200. If you want the dual layer version with the red outer cover, use the UP4200ST. Any dealer can order these for you or most of the big on-line places have them.

http://www.unifilter.com/online catalog/universal.html

Uni-CheckValve.jpg

So I ordered some uni filters. I open em' up and there is a little note " oil filter b4 use with uni foam filter oil" . I'm using as is, do u really need to oil em' ? Is there an alternative type of oil to use, other than "uni oil"?

The oil is meant to trap dirt... so yeah, oil 'em. Use the wrong oil and you risk damaging the foam. Whats the wrong oil? Sorry, above my pay grade. LOL

Back