sr500 vs. xs650

realgone

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I ran a quick search and didn't find what I was looking for, so I'm going to ask it here-

To the guys who have logged enough time in the seat of both a xs650 and a sr500 to really know, which do you think is the better bike?

I've ridden quite a few bikes- a couple of 90's 600cc sport bikes, a cb400f, a few xs650's, a gs550, a cb500, etc., and my favorites have always been the xs'. I love them.

And now mine is more or less exactly where I want it. I have another one in the garage that needs some work and I was going to give it a proper cafe treatment. But I figure one running xs650 is plenty enough for me and I oughtta get something else. I can't get the fantasy of a sr500 out of my head, but I don't want to be dissapointed.

Does the sr500 live up to its legend? Help me out here.

I'd go for a rephased 650 any day - way smoother. I have owned both & the 500 is a good bike but I like the 6fiddy better, IMO the 500 was better suited to the xt genre.
The Sr/Xt 500 do have mega aftermarket parts available.
I would like a nice xt500 though.

I've owned and ridden both. For a street bike, the 650 wins going away.

The SR is cool, and the one I had DID turn me on to Thumpers as dirt bikes. The XL500 Honda I had is my second favorite bike of all time.

Now that I'm (ahem...) "mature" and not interested in riding 500 miles a day @ 80MPH anymore, another SR would be fun.

The SR500 is my all time favorite bike. I love the size and its "flickable" nature. Nothing else I've ridden gives me the elemental sense of freedom that the SR provides on a nice, twisty piece of two lane blacktop. If I'm riding alone I'm probably on the SR.
But a 500 single has it's limitations. The additional weight and power of the XS gives a smoother ride, (unless of course it's hardtailed) and easier power delivery makes riding with others better for me.

I'm lucky enough to have both but if there was only one in the shed it would be the SR.

roy

Attachments

• SR500 fall 2012 003.jpg
    SR500 fall 2012 003.jpg
    176 KB · Views: 1,532
I've owned and ridden both. For a street bike, the 650 wins going away.

The SR is cool, and the one I had DID turn me on to Thumpers as dirt bikes. The XL500 Honda I had is my second favorite bike of all time.

Now that I'm (ahem...) "mature" and not interested in riding 500 miles a day @ 80MPH anymore, another SR would be fun.

you may have to grow old, but you don't have to grow up :laugh:

I have had both, hiway running and most general riding the 650 wins, larger stabler bike with more power, screwing around on the back roads when I'm in no hurry the SR wins, just a fun bike to ride they do handle nice

I've got both, a '77 XS650 and a souped up SR500. Different bikes but both very cool. One thing about the SR that has me picking it for a ride is its light weight. One hundred pounds less than the XS! If I could get my XS to 350 pounds ready to ride ..., well it ain't gonna happen.

Tom

heard of a few guys dropping 650 engines into SR frames but no good pics :mad: bobbers and choppers don't count because all that does is ruin the SR handling and if I wanted to sit on a flat board I've got a fence out back

I think I'm going to have to keep the "finished" xs650, let the "project" xs650 go, and see if the sr500 I have a line on is still available.
Roy, I think you pushed me over the line!

Back