stainless zip ties wont tighten.

angus67

Welder's penetrate deeper!!
Reaction score
so i heat wrapped my pipes, and had some radiator clamps on it, but wanted it to look better, so i got a pack of ss zips from harbor freight.
I put them on and they wont hold tight, so i figure they are cheap, i will just get real ones at home depot.
got em. put them on, and they wont hold tight either.
Whay gives? what am i missing?
Ive seen them used for this, so i know it can be done.
I dont want to do the twisty-wire thing.

nevermind. i got em as tight as i could and smashed the piss outta it with a hammer.
very versatile...that hammer.

I'm sure u can buy a tool for this. That's not the point, The whole point of this forum, I think is doing things on the cheap. If u bought a tool for every application, u would be broke. Parts are expensive enough.

I'm sure u can buy a tool for this. That's not the point, The whole point of this forum, I think is doing things on the cheap. If u bought a tool for every application, u would be broke. Parts are expensive enough.

Yeah but that also falls into.. doing things the right way... the first time. The right tool for the job SAVES money and time.

i have one that does plastic, but it cuts at the same time. I dont think its for ss

You have separate hammers for plastic and SS zip ties?

I have a large selection of hammers for every use but nothing THAT specific.

:wink2:

You have separate hammers for plastic and SS zip ties?

I have a large selection of hammers for every use but nothing THAT specific.

:wink2:

That explains it. I was using the plastic hammer on the ss zip ties.

I've not used the stainless ties before, but perhaps this method for the plastic ones will work on the steel ones as well.

Grab the "tail" of the tie sticking through the holder end with a pair of flat-faced pliers, close to the "holder" end leaving enough room for.... a screwdriver. Insert screwdriver between plier face and holder and use a twisting motion (with the screwdriver) to spread them apart from each other. Of course, this only works if the tie has the self locking ribs, unless you have a third hand (or a friend) that can press the clamp closed once you have them tight enough.

had same problem too, what i did used ss wire and then coverd it up with ss tie to hide the wire, or if you want the bad ass look leave wire only...mmmm

Back