Sold / Found / Inactive - Standard Tank

Kevin Werner

Amatuer
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I am looking for a decent tank for a repaint so finish is not important. Solid, not too much rust preferrably with cap and petcocks. The hardware lack is not a deal breaker.

I have a decent tank that came on my 1980 XS. It has the petcock but no cap. FREE for the shipping. It's free because another member here sent me a tank he originally had for sale but decided to send it to me free for the cost of shipping with the request that I pay it forward in the future. Well, looks like that time has come!

I am looking for a decent tank for a repaint so finish is not important. Solid, not too much rust preferrably with cap and petcocks. The hardware lack is not a deal breaker.
Pssst.... wanna know how to save 50 bucks on shipping me the tank? :wink2:

1696814323666.png

I have a decent tank that came on my 1980 XS. It has the petcock but no cap. FREE for the shipping. It's free because another member here sent me a tank he originally had for sale but decided to send it to me free for the cost of shipping with the request that I pay it forward in the future. Well, looks like that time has come!
You are most kind and I thank you. But, I am looking for a standard tank for this project.

Thank you. What do you mean by a standard tank....am I missing something?
Thank you. What do you mean by a standard tank....am I missing something?
The '80 is part of the "Special" family of XS650s. The 70-79 standards had slightly different tanks with approximately 1/2 to 1 gallon more capacity and different lines. My desire is to achieve "Standard" appearance with my 81 special. Each XS650 model is lovely but I jave a desire to replicate the 77-79 standard look. Notice the 2 different tanks in the picture. Red is an 81 Special, Blue is a '77 Standard.
Your offer is most generous. Thank you.
20231001_145541.jpg

Last edited:
The '80 is part of the "Special" family of XS650s. The 70-79 standards had slightly different tanks with approximately 1/2 to 1 gallon more capacity and different lines. My desire is to achieve "Standard" appearance with my 81 special. Each XS650 model is lovely but I jave a desire to replicate the 77-79 standard look. Notice the 2 different tanks in the picture. Red is an 81 Special, Blue is a '77 Standard.
Your offer is most generous. Thank you.

You are welcome, and thank you for the clarification.

That pic is from about 4-5 mo ago. Don't remember what condition it's in. Good as a recall, but....
I'll have a look at it in daylight and see what we have.
Is the tank decent and workable from your end? Will I need a de rusting procedure before using it? This seems the best option so far. What $ do you need for the tank?

Back