Starter cross-over shaft removal Q.

avenue

push.
Reaction score
I'm going kick-only on my current project.

Clearly, I will be blocking off the starter input, the gears on the starter plate are coming out, and I'd like to take out the starter cross-over shaft and gears, also. Just trying to simplify as much as possible.

My question is, do I need to block off the clutch-side shaft input of the cross-over shaft?

thanks for your time and help,
avenue.

Ok, I think I see what you are asking. Since you have the cases apart and you take out parts 10, 11, 12, 13 and 14 you don't have to plug the crossover shaft hole in the right side of the case. Both sides of the case (inside and outside) have oil in them.

I'm actually just in the same boat at the moment with this 'crossover shaft'. I can't seem to remove it from the engine case and want to have the cases soda blasted. I'm going kick only as well.

Will check out the other threads on the starter delete. I removed the starter from my last XS engine but didn't tear the bottom end down so didn't get into this whole crossover shaft business. I was looking for info on trying to remove the shaft and stumbled across this thread.

I blasted my cases with the cross over shaft in place. Cleaning the inside of the case, especially around the left side gear, was a bit a bit frustrating armed without a proper cleaning sink. Much easier to clean out the remaining soda without gears in your way, of course.

I ended up cleaning the lower case again after I pulled the gear shaft. I've heard the soda is okay for blasting the inside of the cases so long as a good cleaning follows it up. Change the oil a few times during initial start up and you'll be fine, so I hear.

Just to be clear, it's not the full shaft, and maybe I'm using the wrong term. I've circled the part in yellow here.

Attachments

• 15.jpg
    15.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 342
Oh and while I've got the attention of knowledgeable people, what is the bit circled in white? I've got some reading to do clearly, but figured I'd ask as it had me curious.

Attachments

• 15.jpg
    15.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 319
The "bit circled in white" is the adjuster for you shift mechanism to fine tune the shifting of your gearbox, if you look closely you will see it is an eccentric bolt (cam) & as you turn it the shift mechanism is adjusted one way or the other.

The bit in yellow stays - its just the spigot for the starter gear.

Yeah, I noticed it was eccentric - didn't know there was an adjustment - will have to explore what it does - maybe I can make an improvement on my other XS.

Regarding the starter gear spigot, should it come off the cases easily or no? I was trying to remove it before media blasting but it's not budging.

From what I've read I can leave the gears off that spigot if I'm not using the starter motor.

Thats right - just leave it there. Not worth damaging the cases trying to remove it, & to gain what..??.

Yup - just seemed odd that it wouldn't come off. Everything else on the engine came off like butter and was super clean.

Dropped the cases off for soda blasting this morning - they do tons of automotive and motorcycle work. Confirmed the soda won't hurt any mating surfaces or bearings.

Truth be told I left the shift drum bearing - that little cup shaped needle bearing in the engine case. It's an odd thing - it just presses into the engine case and actually seals the hole in the case. No detent to fix its position. Not sure why they built it that way, but I decided to leave well enough alone and not press it out. It's been discontinued by Yamaha as well although I'm sure they're out there for sale.

When I was tearing my engine down I couldn't get the darn bendix shaft to come out either. There was absolutely no issue with reassembly after bead blasting.

With regard to the needle bearing you left in the case...I left mine in as well. However, I stuck some masking tape over it to keep the beads out of it. I suggest you do the same. Bearings and debris don't make good company.

Glad I'm not the only one :) Mine is being done with Baking Soda, not beads, so I'm not fussed over the bendix shaft and won't be using it again anyhow.

I packed the bearing with grease and masked it / pointed it out to the guy doing the blasting. It is soda blasting and they are adamant that it doesn't hurt bearings at all - will be cleaning very thoroughly after the blast. They're also focusing on removing the factory black paint from the exterior - they won't be aiming their guns at the bearing at all.

Back