Starter "gasket" buldge does it need to be replaced now?

JayR

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hi everyone - if you've come across this I'd appreciate your opinion on whether I need to replace my starter's "PIECE, FRICTION" part #7 on the attached diagram. Nice name.

My starter was working OK before but I've been working on the motor for a few months and damned if I missed it, but I never noticed that this gasket thing was sticking out and broken (I work from the floor on a low stool).

I'm just about ready for a test start and run, but is this something that must be replaced right away? I'd rather get the bike on the road and add the PIECE, FRICTION repair to the winter punch list, as opposed to yanking the starter and losing more summer.

Thanks! :)

Attachments

• image (1).jpg
    image (1).jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 68
  • 7-28-2015 5-03-25 PM.jpg
    7-28-2015 5-03-25 PM.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 48
It is a water seal for the starter motor...there are two (One on each side) and help seal (obviously) the starter motor from rain/debris, etc...

It's not critical with regards to it's functionality...but it is important to have sealed. If you're looking to temporarily run it as is (And you're not going to be riding in wet conditions)...you could get some gasket maker and fill it in...but it's not a good long-term solution.

Hey Brassneck. Yes that's what I was driving at, wether it is critical to the short term functionality. Thanks for the description. I just want to get my mission critical tasks done now to prepare for a road test.

I'll use some gasket maker / duct tape just to put 20 - 30 dry miles on it and shake it out, then address a proper repair.

Thanks again. J

Back