Starter gear retention half clips keep falling out, HELP

YamahaRD400

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi guys I have read all of the starter gear posts and I still have not had any luck finding the problem that I am having.

I just fixed my starter gear issue but the two piece clip (the half circles that go under the cupped washer on gear 3) falls out after being used a few times. I am on my second retention kit from Mikes XS. I do not have the stock hardware.

Has anyone else had this problem? The starter gear itself seems to be working great.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Hi everyone, I posted this a while ago. I am reporting back with my findings just in case anyone else is having this same problem with the Starting Gear 3 half moon clips, clip holder falling out.

I have a recently rebuilt 1979 rephased XS 650 with a 750 kit. The starter gear was slipping before and after the rebuild. I ended up buying all NOS parts and replaced:

1) The wheel starting gear (worm gear)
2) The compression spring
3) Clip (for gear 4)
4) Gear 4
5) Gear 3
6) Washer plate
7) Half moon clips – retention kit
8) Clip holder – retention kit
9) Circlip – retention kit

Most of these parts are not available from Yamaha anymore. I was able to find them on ebay and Speed and sport who specialize in vintage Yamaha parts. I know I didn't need to go this crazy but in my frustration I just bought everything.

Here is why:

I did not have much luck with the mikes xs starter gear repair kit. The gear was catching and sticking on the old worm gear. I do not think it was the fault of the mikes xs gear but I wasn't sure. That's when I decided to buy the new worm gear and switch everything out.

I also bough the mikes xs retention kit (half moon clips, clip holder and circlip) I bought 2 kits and they both kept on falling apart on me. I compared them to the NOS parts that I bought. Using calipers I measured both of the thicknesses. The NOS half clips and clip holder are thicker than the mikes kit, the circlip was about the same thickness. The NOS parts are tighter fitting and the clip holder seems a little stronger. The Mikes xs parts may work perfectly for other people I am just explaining my situation. It is not my intention to knock mikes xs I have bought a lot from that site and I have had very few issues. I am still a customer.

Even with the new NOS parts I had to adjust the tension on the gear 4 clip (Awesome post on the forum) well worth the read. I got it about 6 – 8 lbs. I reinstalled everything and I haven't had a problem with the half clips falling out.
Moral of the story, just take your time and check everything. Don't put it back together if it's questionable. Make sure that starter gear 4 slips into position smoothly.

Back