Starter gear

mjpchief

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Probably been asked before but my memory isn't any longer than anything else I've got. Does anybody make a stronger spring for the starter gear. I thought I remembered somewhere at one time there was a discussion about this. Also, has anyone ever changed the angle on the starter gear teeth to try and make it engage farther into the crank gear before it starts turning the crank gear. Just trying to come up with an idea to keep from having to change this gear and spring every two or three years.

yamaha changed to a stronger spring about 76?? Of the current fleet only period piece is a little bit grindy. haven't been in it to check on the issue.
FWIW Madness had the start button wired direct and it did overrun pretty badly no matter how quick my thumb release.. During the recent rewire I put it back through the safety relay, there; that's better now.

I think the later Yamaha clip (thicker wire and stronger) is the best you can do. Unfortunately, even it gets spread open over time and needs to be "serviced" (bent tight again). I did mine shortly after I got it, had to do it again about 6 or 7 years later.

By changing the angle on the starter gear I meant on the front of the tooth not the angle of the whole tooth if that makes it clearer.

5 twins, if I could get mine to last another 5 or 6 years that would be great.

Last edited:
Back