Starter quit working

dpl3

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I changed the handle bars on my 1979 xs and the electric starter quit working. Is there a safety on the clutch , I don't see one. The horn works, i understand that the ground for the starter switch and the horn is connected.
What do I test and where. Please help!

Ran a wire from bar clamp to clamp on tree . No Luck. Can I run a ground to the starter switch? Where would I attach to switch? Does the switch close the ground or the positive?

New bars are painted not chrome, does that matter, Trying to think of anything now

Yes, the painted bars are your problem. The starter switch grounds through the bars over to the horn switch on the left side. That switch has a ground wire running to the headlight. If you remove the switch housings, you'll see a little metal contact plate that presses on the bars when you clamp the housing on. You'll need to remove the paint from the bars where that plate makes contact on both switch housing to reestablish the ground transfer.

THANKS!

I will try that. I dont find a wire that looks like it grounds the bars, and the horn does work now.
Any other thoughts will be appreciated.

There is no wire grounding the bars from the bars, it's in that sheath of wires running from the left switch assembly into the headlight bucket. It connects to ground (actually a wire running to ground on the frame) in there. The fact that your horn works is telling you that the ground wire from switch housing to headlight is there and connected. Now you just have to get that ground to transfer through the bars over to the starter switch.

Back