Starter? solenoid? cut-outs?

DWB

XS650 Member
Reaction score
'83 XS650, US Model SK. Ran fine, then started acting up. Bought the XS650 used after it had been stored in a garage and only occasionally ridden. Over time, the starter turned over slower and slower, then stopped working. Now, turn on key, push starter button, and solenoid clicks loudly. Crossed the 2 large posts on the solenoid to bypass the solenoid, and nothing happens. The starter makes no noise. Shouldn't the starter run? Also, with the key on, every time the on-off switch (right handlebar) is switched on, the side stand relay and the starter cut-off/headlight relay, both of them click. Turn switch off, and back on, and both click again. Is that the relays doing their thing....switching on? As a related matter, the headlight (new bulb) doesn't work. Is that related to the starter cut-off/headlight relay?

Are there more fuses than the 4 that sit on top of the battery?

Those readers with XS650 experience, please reply.

'83 XS650, US Model SK. Ran fine, then started acting up. Bought the XS650 used after it had been stored in a garage and only occasionally ridden. Over time, the starter turned over slower and slower, then stopped working. Now, turn on key, push starter button, and solenoid clicks loudly. Crossed the 2 large posts on the solenoid to bypass the solenoid, and nothing happens. The starter makes no noise. Shouldn't the starter run? Also, with the key on, every time the on-off switch (right handlebar) is switched on, the side stand relay and the starter cut-off/headlight relay, both of them click. Turn switch off, and back on, and both click again. Is that the relays doing their thing....switching on? As a related matter, the headlight (new bulb) doesn't work. Is that related to the starter cut-off/headlight relay?
Are there more fuses than the 4 that sit on top of the battery?
Those readers with XS650 experience, please reply.

Hi DWB and welcome,
from what you describe, the bike's battery is flat. Most likely the charging system quit a while ago.
The kill switch is to stop the bike in an emergency, not for every-day use. That's what the key is for.
The headlight turns on automatically when the alternator starts charging. No charge = no headlight.
4 fuses is all she got. If the bike still has glass tube fuses the fuse clips are old and tired.
Best you swap it out for a more modern 4-way spade fuse or mini-spade fuse block before it starts acting up.

Thanks for your insights. Allow me to give you the latest, and see if you agree with my conclusion. 1) Battery voltage is 13.4 right after a charge, then drops to 12.5 after trying the starter a few times. 2) To test the starter, I disconnected the cable going to the starter. Then, I hooked a 12v car battery directly to the starter. Positive cabled to the starter terminal at the starter. Negative grounded to a bolt holding the starter onto the motor. I couldn't make the starter run. 3) Likewise, I hooked the car battery positive to the positive side of the solenoid and the negative grounded to the engine. No change. Nothing I do causes the starter to turn. Consistently, I get a loud CLICK from the solenoid, but starter doesn't turn. Over time, the starter has seemed to spin slower. My diagnosis is the starter is gone. Where to buy a replacement starter?

Definitely sound's like the starter's fried. Will the bike kick start?
Check the classified (follow the Forums link). I seem to recall a starter there for 40 bucks the other day....

Starts and runs like a charm, except the electric start doesn't work and the headlight doesn't work. I'll check the forum classifieds.

.................. and the headlight doesn't work.
The safety relay needs to see a charge from the alternator before it will turn on the headlight. I'd recommend checking the batt voltage with the engine reved to about 3000rpm and see if you get an increase.

I plan to do that tomorrow. Rev to 2,500 and see if the battery reads ~14V at 2,500rpm. If not, brushes could be worn down, and I believe replacing the brushes is fairly straight forward.

Where to buy brushes?
Where to buy the handlebar headlight switch that also has the turn signal switch, horn button, and choke lever?

Numerous sources. OEM on Ebay...... Partzilla..... MikesXS.... Speed and Sport Inc.

Thank you. I looked at Mikesxs, and they don't sell complete starters, and they don't have the various relay boxes (headlight, sidestand safety, etc). Do other sites have a starter and relays?

I have no firsthand knowledge of aftermarket starters for the Yamaha XS. But I do have a bit with numerous other brands, and I suspect the issue is the same here.

You are way better off having your stock, Japanese starter rebuilt by a competent shop than buying a "new" Chiwanese aftermarket starter. Last rebuild I had done was $25, and was done in half a day.

Something to think about, at least.

Good luck!

The starter sticks into the motor below the oil level. It has an oil seal on it's shaft. If that fails, the starter can fill with oil and that usually kills it.

Good thought. Now, to find a competent shop near Baltimore that isn't rebuilding a starter for the first time. Unless the rotor or windings are shorting out internally, starters are pretty basic. Until recently, starter worked, then slower and slower. Now, nothing. With more time, I'd tear into it myself and at least check the brushes, clean and check the rotor and windings. The bike is my son's and he's visiting from Baltimore for a few days (brought the bike in his truck to NW Michigan). I used to wrench a lot 45 years ago, so have some comfort, but R&R+inspect the starter, and having no quick access to brushes, makes it all beyond current scope.

Unfortunately, most of the parts needed for the starter are N.L.A.

I presume they ship? Do you have any contact information for names of those in N. LA with starters and starter parts?

N.L.A. means No Longer Available, lol. You can't get the parts anymore, and probably the ones you would need (seal and/or brushes).

Good thought. Now, to find a competent shop near Baltimore that isn't rebuilding a starter for the first time. Unless the rotor or windings are shorting out internally, starters are pretty basic. Until recently, starter worked, then slower and slower. Now, nothing. With more time, I'd tear into it myself and at least check the brushes, clean and check the rotor and windings. The bike is my son's and he's visiting from Baltimore for a few days (brought the bike in his truck to NW Michigan). I used to wrench a lot 45 years ago, so have some comfort, but R&R+inspect the starter, and having no quick access to brushes, makes it all beyond current scope.

Hi DWB,
as others have posted, your best chance and sometimes your only hope of finding XS650 parts
is to look in the list's classifieds for used ones.

Back