Starter troubles..... HELP!

Lester

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Well I'm trying to get the wife's bobber on the road for summer. All has gone well with the build and she happy but the started is not really engaging properly... but some times it will engage and start the engine quite happily. When it doesn't engage properly it make this grinding gears noise the makes the hairs on your neck stand straight out. ANY takes? Just want a second opinion here before I pull the starter.

Thanks
guys
Lester

There is a detailed procedure on this in the tech section. Its not the starter itself, rather the gears under the right side cover. There is a spring that you need to pinch in a vise so it holds stronger. This will eliminate the problem.

That noise truly does sound awful doesn't it?

Well that was great news, I just hate pulling the starter on thee things, thanks.
Got a link? I was looking throu the tech section and from the topics I could not locate the thread you mentioned. Maybe its hidden in another one.... or maybe I'm blind... :)

Lester

Hey guys,

Well I'm trying to get the wife's bobber on the road for summer. All has gone well with the build and she happy but the started is not really engaging properly... but some times it will engage and start the engine quite happily. When it doesn't engage properly it make this grinding gears noise the makes the hairs on your neck stand straight out. ANY takes? Just want a second opinion here before I pull the starter.

Thanks
guys
Lester
........................ hi you could do an easy mod on the spring on 4th gear ,,,, clamping the leg of the spring in a vice and squeezing it together ,,,then check the teeth for to much wear ,,you can dress up the teeth with a stone if you need toooo ,then re-assemble all of if and it should work well regards oldbiker

Thanks guys, hope to get to it this week.
Will update on what I end up doing.

Lester

Hey Guys,

All is well and the starter is doing what its supposed to do.
I got a hold of a used gear that only needed a little stone dressing.
The one I pullout of the bike was pretty chewed up, but no other damage to be seen.
I also gave the spring a pinch in the vice... just to be safe.

Thanks for all the great help, the wife is over the moon with her little bobber.

Cheers
Lester

Back